|Founded||Biella, Piedmont, Italy|
|Parent||FILA KOREA Ltd.|
Fila, Inc. is an Italian sporting goods company founded in 1911 in Biella (Italy) and based in Seoul.
Fila was founded in 1911 in Italy. Since a purchase in 2007 by Fila Korea, the company is now owned and operated from South Korea. Headed by chairman and CEO Yoon-Soo Yoon, Fila has offices in 11 countries globally.
Fila was created in Biella, Piedmont, Italy, by Giansevero Fila in 1911. It originally started by making clothing for the people of the Italian Alps, now manufacturing sportswear for men, women, children and athletes.
The company's primary product was originally underwear, before moving into sportswear in the 1970s, initially with the endorsement of tennis player Björn Borg. The brand became more popular after moving into sportswear.
The original Italian ownership shop Holding di Partecipazioni sold the company to US hedge fund Cerberus Capital Management in 2003, after the company over-committed itself to expensive athletic endorsements, at a time when margins were under pressure. Cerberus owned Fila through holding company Sports Brands International, which owned and operated all Fila businesses around the world with the exception of Fila Korea, which was a separate company operating the brand under licence.
In January 2007, the global Fila brand and all its international subsidiaries were acquired by Fila Korea from SBI, which made it the largest South Korean sportswear company. Fila Korea currently holds all of the rights to the worldwide use of footwear and clothing brands of the parent firm.
In 2009, ANTA Sports acquired the rights to use the brand in China (the company "Full Prospect"), from Belle International, Fila Korea still owned 15% shares of the joint venture company "Full Prospect".
Sponsored Tennis Players
- "Executive Bios at Fila.com". Fila.com. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- 휠라코리아/반기보고서/2018.08.14" 전자공시시스템. Retrieved October 4 2018.
- "History". Fila. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "DISCLOSEABLE TRANSACTIONS PROPOSED ACQUISITION OF FULL PROSPECT LIMITED AND FILA MARKETING (HONG KONG) LIMITED" (PDF). ANTA. Hong Kong Stock Exchange. 12 August 2009. Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- "Fila Korea buys Titleist for global expansion". Yonhap News. 2011-05-21. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Thomas, Denny; Robert MacMillan (2011-05-20). "Fila Korea buys Titleist golf company for $1.2 billion". Reuter. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fila (company).|