EdesonPortrait.jpg (360 × 276 pixels, file size: 17 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
Description: Promotional image of cinematographer--Arthur Edeson. Image may have been cropped, edited for clarity, and is a low resolution capture to prevent piracy.
- Cinematographer: Arthur Edeson
- Source of image: Internet Encyclopedia of Cinematographers (c) Albert Steeman
- Web site: http://www.cinematographers.nl/GreatDoPh/edeson.htm
Derived from a digital capture of: promotional image. The creator of this digital version is irrelevant as the copyright in all equivalent images is still held by the same party. Copyright held by the film company or the artist. The image claimed as fair use regardless.
Fair use rationale for use in article Arthur Edeson
Although this image is subject to copyright, its use is covered by the U.S. fair use laws. Wikipedia editor Luigibob claims fair use because:
- This image is being used to illustrate the article of the biography in question and is used for informational purposes only.
- This is a low resolution image. Because of the low resolution, image could not be used to make illegal copies for sale.
- The image has been published outside Wikipedia; see source above.
- It is believed that this image will not devalue the ability of the copyright holder to profit from the original work. In fact, it may encourage sales. As such, the image does not in any way limit the ability of the copyright owners to market or sell their product.
- The image is itself a subject of discussion and used for critical commentary in the article.
- Image is needed for educational purposes in relation to the subject it is discussing and to identify the cinematographer in cinematic history and the biographical history of the person.
Significance of image for use in the article
- The image is significant because it was used to promote a notable cinematographer in the film industry, one the charter members of A.S.C.
- The image of the cinematographer is used as the film's primary means of visual identification in the Arthur Edeson article.
- For the above stated reasons image used for critical commentary, reporting, and/or teaching qualifies as Fair Use.
|This is a copyrighted image that has been released by a company or organization to promote their work or product in the media, such as advertising material or a promotional photo in a press kit.|
The copyright for it is most likely owned by the company who created the promotional item or the artist who produced the item in question; you must provide evidence of such ownership. Lack of such evidence is grounds for deletion.
It is believed that the use of some images of promotional material to illustrate:
qualifies as fair use under Copyright law of the United States. Any other usage of this image, on Wikipedia or elsewhere, might be copyright infringement. See Wikipedia:Non-free content and Wikipedia:Publicity photos.
Additionally, the copyright holder may have granted permission for use in works such as Wikipedia. However, if they have, this permission likely does not fall under a free license.
Please note that our policy usually considers fair use images of living people that merely show what they look like to be replaceable by free-licensed images and unsuitable for the project. If this is not the case for this image, a rationale must be provided proving that the image provides information beyond simple identification or showing that this image is difficult to replace by a free-licensed equivalent. Commercial third-party reusers of this image should consider whether their use is in violation of the subject's publicity rights.
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||23:27, 12 November 2017||360 × 276 (17 KB)||Ronjones||Reduce size of non-free image to NFCC guideline|
|17:46, 14 December 2007||No thumbnail||450 × 346 (92 KB)||TheOCflash||==Summary== Description: Promotional image of cinematographer--Arthur Edeson. Image may have been cropped, edited for clarity, and is a low resolution capture to prevent piracy. * Cinematographer: Arthur Edeson * Source of image: Internet Encyclopedia o|