John Filip Tysander
25 January 1985
|Alma mater||Uppsala University|
|Known for||Founder of Daniel Wellington|
|Net worth||SEK 1 billion (2017)|
Background and career
After graduating from high school, Tysander ran an online retail business with a necktie and plastic watch web shop. In 2006, when Tysander was backpacking in Australia, he met a traveler by the name of Daniel Wellington who was wearing a Rolex Submariner with a classic Nato watch band. The simplicity of the watch inspired Tysander to create his own watch brand, named after the Englishman he met.
Tysander launched the Daniel Wellington brand after he had graduated from university and also spent five years working in the watch industry via his old online business, Neptune Design. Daniel Wellington grew due to its online advertising strategy and campaigns through social media.
The watches Tysander designs for his business are simple and minimalist. They have an interchangeable nylon Nato strap and that can also be replaced by a leather strap.
Tysander invested $15,000 to start the Daniel Wellington brand. In 2011, he sold the first Daniel Wellington Watch. By 2014, Daniel Wellington had sold over one million watches and made $70 million in revenue. In 2016, Daniel Wellington made US$230 million in revenue and $111.5 million in profit. Tysander owns 100% of the company.
Tysander prefers to keep a low profile and avoids most media appearances.
- Filip Tysander at Ratsit.se Access date 3 August 2017
- "Grown up in Järfälla Access date 3 August 2017
- BroBible. "How A 31-Year-Old Bro Built A$180 Million Watch Empire in Less Than 5 Years". BroBible. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "This 31-year-old who couldn't afford a Rolex has built a $180 million watch empire in less than 5 years". Business Insider. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "How Filip Tysander Built a Watch Empire Now Worth $180 Million". nextshark.com. Retrieved 3 July 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Dezeen Watch Store interview Daniel Wellington founder Filip Tysander". Dezeen Watch Store. 4 April 2014. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Daniel Wellington just posted 1 billion in pure profit – and this guy gets all of it". Business Insider. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- "Daniel Wellington-miljardärens nya satsning: Investerar 50 miljoner i Sveriges hetaste fintech-bolag". Veckans affärer. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "The self-made millionaire behind the Daniel Wellington watch empire just invested a fortune in Klarna". Business Insider. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Filip Tysander: From backpacking in Australia to owning Stockholm's most expensive apartment – Umgås". Umgås. 17 August 2016. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Filip Tysander – Vägen till klockrikedom – Fokus". Fokus (in Swedish). 26 September 2017. Retrieved 19 June 2018.