Filipino American History Month
|Filipino American History Month|
|Official name||Filipino American History Month|
|Observed by||United States|
|Type||Secular, heritage, cultural, ethnic|
|Significance||Celebration of Filipino American history|
|Related to||Filipino-American Friendship Day|
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
Filipino American History Month (FAHM) is celebrated in the United States during the month of October. In 1991, Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS) board of trustees proposed the first annual Filipino American History Month to commence in October 1992.
October was chosen to celebrate month to commemorate the arrival of the first Filipinos who landed in what is now Morro Bay, California on October 18, 1587. It is also the birth month of Filipino American labor leader Larry Itliong.
In California and Hawaii, where many Filipino Americans reside, Filipino American History Month is widely celebrated. Many Filipino American organizations in these states often initiate their own independent celebrations. 2006 was a pivotal year as it marked the centennial celebration of Filipino migration to the United States.
While some used the term Filipino American Heritage Month interchangeably with Filipino American History Month, FANHS cites that the month should be properly focused on "history" instead of "heritage." Whereas history includes the events, experiences, and lives of people and their impact on society, "heritage" is solely about cultural traditions handed down from the past.
In California, Filipino American History Month was first recognized statewide in 2006, when the California Department of Education placed it on its celebrations calendar. In 2009, California State Senator Leland Yee introduced a resolution, which was passed, that recognizes October as Filipino American History Month. It passed the California State Assembly and was submitted to the California Secretary of State.
In 2008, Filipino-American History Month was recognized by the Hawai‘i State Legislature. Former State Representative Joey Manahan and members of the Filipino Caucus introduced the legislation “to designate the month of October as Filipino-American History Month to commemorate the contributions of Filipino-Americans to Hawaii and the United States.” The bill passed unanimously and was signed into law by Governor Linda Lingle on April 15, 2008.
In the 103rd Congress, a resolution to nationally recognize Filipino American History Month was introduced. The House of the 111th Congress introduced a House Resolution 155 (H. RES. 155) to officially recognize this month for Filipinos. In October 2009, the Senate of the 111th Congress passed a resolution recognizing Filipino American History Month. In November 2009, Congress passed the resolution (H. RES. 780), officially recognizing October as Filipino American History Month.
This section may stray from the topic of the article. (October 2018)
National Basketball Association
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (October 2018)
In 2017, March 13 to 19th, became the first week celebrating Filipino heritage, titled Filipino Heritage Week. According to the article, shirts resembling Pinoy heritage was specifically created and sold across various National Basketball Association team stadiums, along with NBA.com website. The shirts were created to match individual team's branding, with the sun's rays from the Philippine flag placed above the 'PILIPINAS' signage, in addition of an image of The Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy that forms the jeepney's headlights on the front grill. On the March 18th, the Golden State Warriors hosted singer-songwriter Martin Nievera and the LIKHA Pilipino Folk Ensemble to perform as a headline.
- "A Resolution: October is Filipino American History Month" (PDF). Filipino American Historical National Society. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- "Filipino American History, 425 Years and Counting". kcet.org. 18 October 2012. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Federis, Marnette. "California To Recognize Larry Itliong Day On Oct. 25". capradio.org. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Nadal, Kevin (2011). Filipino American Psychology: A Handbook of Theory, Research, and Clinical Practice. John Wiley & Sons. p. 27. ISBN 9781118019771. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Filipino Culture". Office of Campus Activities. Catholic University of America. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Case resolution marks centennial of Filipino immigration". KPUA. Associated Press. 27 July 2005. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- Escobar Cantiveros, Rodolfo (2006). "The Filipino Journal". Filipino Journal. 20 (21). Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Susan Enright (6 October 2015). "October is Filipino American Heritage Month at UH Hilo". University of Hawaiʻi News. University of Hawaiʻi. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS)". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Calendar of Events - 2006 - Fact Book (CA Dept of Education) Archived September 13, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "California Senate Passes Filipino American History Month Legislation". The Virginian-Pilot. 14 July 2009. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "SCR 48 ( Yee )". TotalCapitol.com, LLC. 2013. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Senate Concurrent Resolution No. 48" (PDF). Legislative Counsel. State of California. 25 September 2009. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- Dreyer, Thelma (1 October 2008). "It's Filipino-American History Month!". Hawaii House Blog. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "H.B. NO. 3343 H.D. 1 RELATING TO FILIPINO-AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH". Hawaii State Legislature. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "H. J. RES. 141" (PDF). United States Government Printing Office. 9 March 1993. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Bob, Filner (12 February 2009). "Text - H.Res.155 - 111th Congress (2009-2010): Recognizing Filipino American Heritage Month and celebrating the heritage and culture of Filipino Americans and their immense contributions to the Nation". thomas.loc.gov. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "S.Res.298 - A resolution recognizing Filipino American History Month in October 2009". Congress.gov. Library of Congress. 1 October 2009. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "H.Res.780 - Recognizing the celebration of Filipino American History Month in October". Congress.gov. Library of Congress. 2 November 2009. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Rodel Rodis (5 November 2009). "Filipino American History Month". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- Jazmines, Tessa (15 March 2017). "Filipino Heritage Week". Business Mirror. Archived from the original on 2017. Retrieved 25 October 2018.