Filipino American History Month
|Filipino American History Month|
|Official name||Filipino American History Month|
|Observed by||United States|
|Type||Secular, heritage, cultural, ethnic|
|Significance||Celebration of Filipino American history|
|Related to||Filipino-American Friendship Day
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
Filipino American History Month (also known as FAHM) is celebrated in the United States during the month of October. The Filipino American National Historical Society established Filipino American History Month in the year 1988. In California and Hawaii, where a large number of Filipino Americans reside, Filipino American History Month is widely celebrated. Many Filipino American organizations in these states often initiate their own independent celebrations.
October was chosen to celebrate month to commemorate the arrival of the first Filipinos who landed in what is now Morro Bay, California on October 18, 1587. It is also the birth month of Filipino American labor leader Larry Itliong. 
This month is also officially recognized by the California Department of Education. 2006 was a pivotal year as it marked the centennial celebration of Filipino migration to the United States.
While some used the term Filipino American Heritage Month interchangeably with Filipino American History Month, the Filipino American National Historical Society cites that the month should be properly focused on "history" instead of "heritage". Whereas history includes the events, experiences, and lives of people and their impact on society, "heritage" is solely about cultural traditions handed down from the past.
In California, Filipino American History Month was first recognized statewide in 2006, when the California Department of Education placed it on its celebrations calendar. In 2009, California State Senator Leland Yee introduced a resolution, which was passed, that recognizes October as Filipino American History Month. It passed the California State Assembly and was submitted to the California Secretary of State.
In the 103rd Congress, a resolution to nationally recognize Filipino American History Month was introduced. The House of the 111th Congress introduced a House Resolution 155 (H. RES. 155) to officially recognize this month for Filipinos. In October 2009, the Senate of the 111th Congress passed a resolution recognizing Filipino American History Month. In November 2009, Congress passed the resolution (H. RES. 780), officially recognizing October as Filipino American History Month.
- Rodney Jay C. Salinas (2002). "facts on filipino-american history". Filipino American Student Association. College of William & Mary. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- Mark Dayton (2012). "Filipino American History Month" (PDF). Governor of Minnesota. State of Minnesota. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Nadal, Kevin (2011). Filipino American Psychology: A Handbook of Theory, Research, and Clinical Practice. John Wiley & Sons. p. 27. ISBN 9781118019771. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Filipino Culture". Office of Campus Activities. Catholic University of America. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Calendar of Events - CalEdFacts". Resources. California Department of Education. 3 January 2013. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Case resolution marks centennial of Filipino immigration". KPUA. Associated Press. 27 July 2005. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- Escobar Cantiveros, Rodolfo (2006). "The Filipino Journal". Filipino Journal. 20 (21). Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Susan Enright (6 October 2015). "October is Filipino American Heritage Month at UH Hilo". University of Hawaiʻi News. University of Hawaiʻi. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- Calendar of Events - 2006 - Fact Book (CA Dept of Education) Archived September 13, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "California Senate Passes Filipino American History Month Legislation". The Virginian-Pilot. 14 July 2009. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "SCR 48 ( Yee )". TotalCapitol.com, LLC. 2013. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Senate Concurrent Resolution No. 48" (PDF). Legislative Counsel. State of California. 25 September 2009. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "H. J. RES. 141" (PDF). United States Government Printing Office. 9 March 1993. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- H. RES. 155 - Recognizing Filipino American Heritage Month and celebrating the heritage and culture of Filipino Americans and their immense contributions to the Nation
- "S.Res.298 - A resolution recognizing Filipino American History Month in October 2009". Congress.gov. Library of Congress. 1 October 2009. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "H.Res.780 - Recognizing the celebration of Filipino American History Month in October". Congress.gov. Library of Congress. 2 November 2009. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Rodel Rodis (5 November 2009). "Filipino American History Month". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 16 February 2013.