Filipinos in Indonesia
|Regions with significant populations|
|English, various languages of the Philippines and languages of Indonesia|
Filipinos in Indonesia were estimated to number 4,800 individuals as of 2001, according to the statistics of the Philippine government. Most are based in Jakarta, though there is also a community in Surabaya. This represented growth of nearly five times over the government's 1998 estimate of 1,046 individuals.
Unlike many other overseas Filipino communities, Filipinos in Indonesia consist largely of skilled professionals, especially in the advertising industries and as teachers in international schools where their English skills are most needed. 20% also work in finance, especially as accountants.
Filipinos in Indonesia generally maintain good interethnic relations with their Indonesian neighbours, with whom they feel culturally closer than Europeans or Americans; Indonesians stereotype Filipinos as being gregarious and cheerful. However, there are fears that Filipinos in Indonesia may become the targets of kidnappings by local militant groups such as Jemaah Islamiyah in an attempt to secure the release of JI members imprisoned in Philippine jails.
Filipinos in Indonesia have formed eight different community associations, including three sports teams, one teachers' association, and two Christian groups. The annual Philippine Independence Day celebrations attract numerous participants, unlike many other functions held by other foreign embassies.
- "The Filipinos in Indonesia", Backgrounder: Indonesia, Philippines: Office of the Press Secretary, 2001, archived from the original on April 15, 2008, retrieved 2008-10-07
- "Philippine Embassy, Jakarta successfully celebrates 109th anniversary of Declaration of Philippine Independence", Press release, Philippines: Department of Foreign Affairs, 2007-06-19, archived from the original on 2007-10-20
- "Philippines: Migration in 1998", Asian Migration Atlas, Australia: Scalabrini Migration Center, 2000, retrieved 2008-10-07
- Supit, Harumi (2008-03-28), "Good Neighbors", The Jakarta Post, retrieved 2008-10-07
- Jacinto, Al (2002-08-09), "Filipinos in Indonesia at risk of being abducted", Financial Times; Asia Africa Intelligence Wire, retrieved 2008-10-07
- Endah Hulupi, Maria (2006-06-11), "Fiesta of Filipino food at the Shangri-La", The Jakarta Post, retrieved 2008-10-07
- Dahil Sa'Yo, a publication aimed at Filipinos in Indonesia