Filipinos in Norway
|Tagalog, English and Norwegian|
|Roman Catholicism · Protestantism|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Filipino people, Overseas Filipinos|
Economy and employment
Nearly 75% of Filipinos in Norway are sea-based and working in the maritime industry. The other 25% of land-based Filipinos in Norway are employed in the health care industry as physicians and nurses, in the information technology sector, in the petroleum industry as engineers, as au pairs or domestic workers, or as business, non-governmental organization and government support staff. Filipinos are granted about 70% of au pair permits that are issued in Norway.
In 2011, Filipinos in Norway officially sent a total of nearly $352.8 million USD in remittances back to the Philippines (US$294.1 sea-based and US$57.8 land-based), after a peak of $372.5 million USD in remittances in 2010. This was the fourth-largest 2011 total in Europe after Germany, Italy and the United Kingdom, and the second-largest sea-based total for all nations except for the United States. Three Filipino banks have correspondent accounts with banks in Norway to allow for remittance transfers.
Society and culture
Due to the number of Filipinos living in Norway as well as increased economic cooperation between Norway and the Philippines, the Philippine government opened an Embassy in Oslo in 2007 that also represents Filipino interests in Denmark and Iceland as well.
Since 2007, the Drammen Filipino Dance Group has organized Filippinsk Kulturaften, a Filipino cultural show, which is held annually in the city of Drammen. In addition, Philippine holidays such as Independence Day, commemorating the Philippine Declaration of Independence, are celebrated in Norway. Since 2011, hundreds of people have attended annual parades and other celebrations in Oslo to mark the occasion.
- Kirby Ann Basken, model
- Anne Line Gjersem, figure skater
- Rafael Rosell, actor and model
- Markki Stroem, singer and model
- Linn Oeymo, actress and model
- "Philippines-Norway Relations". Embassy of the Philippines. 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Lorenzo, Fely Marilyn; Jennifer de la Rosa; Venice Celis; Sharlyn Celino (2011). "National profile of migration of health professionals – PHILIPPINES" (PDF). University of the Philippines, Manila. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Hampton, Maricar (14 October 2012). "Filipinos in Scandinavia". FilAm Star. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Overseas Filipinos' Cash Remittances". Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. 2012. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Philippine Banks With Remittance Networks Abroad" (PDF). Scalabrini Migration Center. p. 5. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Norwegian mayor praises Pinoy culture, Christmas tradition". Norway News. 26 December 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Filipinos to Mark Independence Day with Parade, Trade Fair in Oslo". Pinoy OFW. 21 May 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Ingles, Macel (5 June 2012). "PH Independence Day parade held in Oslo". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Ingles, Macel (February 16, 2014). "Fil-Norwegian figure skater goes for historic win in Sochi". ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs. Archived from the original on February 20, 2014. Retrieved February 17, 2014.