Filipinos in Poland
|Filipino, other languages of the Philippines, Polish, English|
|Roman Catholicism · Protestantism|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Filipino people, Overseas Filipino|
Filipinos in Poland, the citizens of the Philippines as well as their descendants who are currently living in Poland, are mostly residing in the country on a temporary basis. As of September 2012[update], there were an estimated 525 Filipinos across the country.
Although Filipinos in Poland are spread throughout the country, they are mostly concentrated in urban centers, with Filipino communities in cities like Warsaw, Kraków, Poznań, and Łódź. Most Filipinos in Poland are employed either in the banking sector, in the hospitality industry, as domestic helpers, or as Catholic clergy. Some are employed also as computer programmers, while a number are also students: twelve Filipinos have studied at the University of Warsaw from 2010 to 2013 under the European Union's Erasmus Mundus program.
Society and culture
The Filipino community in Poland regularly organizes events, at times with the participation of the Philippine Embassy in Warsaw. Filipinos are a fixture at Warsaw's only English-language Catholic Mass, where many are active in church services, and around 100 people also gather every first Sunday of the month to hear a separate community Mass at the Parish of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church in the Mokotów district of Warsaw.
Likewise, the Philippine Embassy organizes events around major Philippine holidays such as Independence Day and the People Power Revolution. In 2011, the Philippine Embassy organized a Marian pilgrimage to Domacyno, its first outreach project outside of Warsaw.
There has also been interest in organizing an Association of Filipinos in Poland.
Filipinos in Polish popular culture
Filipinos have appeared on Polish television shows such as Dzień Dobry TVN, Pytanie na śniadanie and other programs. Notably, Filipinos who joined Polish talent shows on television have done well: these include Christina Bien winning Szansa na sukces in 2008, Alexander Martinez placing third in the second season of Mam talent! in 2009, and Conrado Yanez placing second in the Polish version of Must Be the Music in 2011.
- Medina, Andrei (September 13, 2012). "World's 10 fastest roads". GMA News and Public Affairs.
- Stock Estimate of Overseas Filipinos as of December 2011 (PDF), Commission on Filipinos Overseas, archived from the original (PDF) on September 27, 2013
- "Pinoy kids in Poland perform with world-famous Warsaw Boys Choir". GMA News and Public Affairs. June 30, 2011.
- "FR. HERBIE CANETE LEADS THE WAY IN OVERSEAS ABSENTEE VOTING" (Press release). Embassy of the Philippines, Warsaw. April 15, 2013.
- Rembowski, Andrzej (October 8, 2008). "Filipińczycy rozpoczęli pracę w Cegielskim". Głos Wielkopolski (in Polish). Grupa Wydawnicza Polskapresse.
- Ubalde, Mark Joseph H. (May 19, 2009). "67 of 96 distressed OFWs from Poland arrive home". GMA News and Public Affairs.
- "Philippines – Poland Relations". The Official Website of the Philippine Embassy in Warsaw, Poland. Department of Foreign Affairs. Retrieved September 22, 2013.
- Vergel, Paul (March 1, 2004). "Pinoy programmers in Warsaw, Poland". Manila Bulletin. D4.
- "UNIVERSITY OF WARSAW (UW) OFFICIALS OPEN DOORS FOR COOPERATION WITH PHILIPPINE EMBASSY" (Press release). Embassy of the Philippines, Warsaw. September 14, 2013. Archived from the original on September 25, 2013. Retrieved September 22, 2013.
- "Posługa duszpasterska dla Filipińczyków". Parafia NMP Matki Kościoła - strona oficjalna (in Polish). Parish of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- "INVITATION TO THE 16 JUNE 2013 INDEPENDENCE DAY GET-TOGETHER" (Press release). Embassy of the Philippines, Warsaw. May 21, 2013. Archived from the original on September 28, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "ADVISORY: EDSA 27 MOVE TO SUNDAY, 24 FEBRUARY 2013 AT 2:00 PM" (Press release). Embassy of the Philippines, Warsaw. February 8, 2013. Archived from the original on September 28, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "Pinoys hold Marian pilgrimage in Poland". GMA News and Public Affairs. August 9, 2011. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "ANNOUNCEMENT: FORMATION OF AN ASSOCIATION OF FILIPINOS IN POLAND AND ELECTION OF ITS OFFICER" (Press release). Embassy of the Philippines, Warsaw. September 25, 2013. Archived from the original on September 28, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "L&J Band. Filipińczycy na naszej scenie!". Dzień Dobry TVN (in Polish). June 21, 2013. TVN.
- "Filipińska bohaterka "Szansy na sukces" nagrywa". Interia.pl (in Polish). Grupa INTERIA.PL Sp. z o.o. Sp.k. December 20, 2010. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- Olszanka, Wojciech (March 21, 2010). ""Mam talent" spełnich ich marzenie". Dzień Dobry TVN (in Polish). TVN.
- Tomada, Nathalie M. (March 21, 2010). "The distance between Cebu and Poland is a song". The Philippine Star. PhilStar Daily, Inc. Retrieved September 22, 2013.
- ""Must Be The Music. Tylko muzyka": Conrado Yanez z Sosnowca drugi". Dziennik Zachodni (in Polish). Grupa Wydawnicza Polskapresse. May 9, 2011. Retrieved September 27, 2013.