|Filippa Palmstierna Hamilton|
Filippa Palmstierna Hamilton, September 2007
December 3, 1985 |
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||54.5 kg (120 lb)|
|Dress size||36 (EU)
Hamilton was born in Paris and raised in Biarritz, France. She was discovered age 15 on the streets of Paris by French photographer Marc Hispard. She secured her first major advertising campaign at age 16 with Ralph Lauren. On NBC's "Today show" with Meredith Vieira, Hamilton stated she had worked for Lauren since she was 17. She was the new face of Romance, Ralph Lauren’s fragrance, photographed by Bruce Weber. Hamilton has been photographed by Paolo Roversi, Mario Testino, Arthur Elgort, Inez van Lamsweerde, Terry Richardson and Gilles Bensimon.
Hamilton is a French and Swedish national. Her father is Michaël Palmstierna Hamilton, an extramarital son of baroness Margaretha Palmstierna and, according to a rule by the Supreme Court of Sweden in 1999, count Ulph Hamilton. Her mother, Beatrice Hamilton, is a clothing and jewelry designer.
Ralph Lauren photograph controversy
In 2009 Hamilton appeared in a Ralph Lauren advertisement which had been used only in Japan and digitally edited to make her appear improbably thin, with hips and a waist smaller than her head. The ad was widely circulated and ridiculed on various blogs, especially after Ralph Lauren attempted to use DMCA notices to prevent its publication. Ralph Lauren subsequently apologized for the image, which was posted all over the internet and on television, saying "We have learned that we are responsible for the poor imaging and retouching that resulted in a very distorted image of a woman’s body."
Shortly after the photoshopping controversy, Hamilton announced that she had been fired for being "too fat", saying the issue had moved her to speak out. On Today, she claimed to have received a letter stating "We’re terminating your services because you don’t fit into the sample clothes that you need to wear."
- Carrie Melago (October 14, 2009). "Ralph Lauren model Filippa Hamilton: I was fired because I was too fat!". The New York Daily News. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- http://entertainment.polo.com/editorial/static/pjc_filippa.asp interview
- "''Aftonbladet'' May 16, 2001 (in Swedish)". Aftonbladet.se. 2001-05-16. Retrieved 2013-04-15.
- "Lady H Design Bio". Ladyhdesign.com. Retrieved 2013-04-15.
- "Size 4 model: I was fired for being too fat". Today. October 14, 2009. Retrieved October 14, 2009.
- "Ralph Lauren stick insect sacked for being 'too fat'". The Register. October 15, 2009. Retrieved October 15, 2009.
- "Ralph Lauren apologises for digitally retouching slender model to make her head look bigger than her waist". Dailymail.co.uk. 2009-10-10. Retrieved 2013-04-15.
- Filippa Palmstierna Hamilton at the Fashion Model Directory
- Filippa's profile at NEXT
- Filippa's profile at AskMen.com
|This biographical article about a model is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|