This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017)
Type of site
|Film, TV movie, and TV series database|
|Available in||English, Spanish|
|Created by||Pablo Kurt Verdú Schumann and Daniel Nicolás|
FilmAffinity is a movie recommendations website created in 2002 in Madrid, Spain by the film critic Pablo Kurt Verdú Schumann and the programmer Daniel Nicolás. As of 2016, the site listed 125,000 movies and series and had 556,000 reviews written by its users.
Registered users can rate movies, find recommended films based on their personal ratings, create any kind of movie lists and — in the Spanish version — write reviews. The site also includes information about contents of the main streaming services, such as Netflix, HBO, Movistar+, Filmin and Rakuten TV. This feature is currently limited to Netflix in the English version.
The site has 3 million unique users in Spain, which accounts for 70% of its total traffic, and serves more than 47 million pages per month worldwide. Advertisements are the site's only income, totaling more than half a million dollars annually.
In 2016 the site launched adapted versions for the US, Mexico, Argentina and Chile, offering specific information about release dates for movies, local critics, box office and cinemas. A UK version was later added.
The English version is more limited than the Spanish, not offering the chance for users to write reviews.
- "About Us: Who Are We? Our History". FilmAffinity.com. FilmAffinity. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- Blanco, José Manuel (2 September 2016). "El español que viajó a Canadá para montar FilmAffinity, el IMDB patrio". El Diario (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 July 2017.
- Decarlini, Jorge (14 November 2016). "Filmaffinity Vs. IMDB; o España contra el cine". Vice.com.
- "Filmaffinity: así crearon dos jóvenes el negocio detrás de la mayor base de datos de cine en español". El Español (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 July 2017.
- "Filmaffinity, la web española de cine que planta cara a IMDb y Amazon". Sabemos Digital (in Spanish). 22 May 2016. Retrieved 23 July 2017.