Film and Television Institute of India
|Location||Pune, Maharashtra, India|
The Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) is an autonomous institute under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting of the Government of India and aided by the Central Government of India. It is situated on the premises of the erstwhile Prabhat Film Company in Pune. Since its inception in 1960, FTII has become India's premier film and television institute, with its alumni becoming technicians, actors and directors in the film and television industry.
FTII is a member of the International Liaison Centre of Schools of Cinema and Television (CILECT), an organisation of the world's leading schools of film and television.
The Institute was established in 1960 and started running its courses from 1961. The Television Training wing, which was earlier functioning in New Delhi, shifted to Pune in 1974. Thereafter, the institute became fully aided by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India)|Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. In July 2011, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said that a bill in Parliament to develop the FTII into a 'Centre of Excellence' would be introduced. This would enable the institute to enjoy the academic status and privileges of a university.
The Institute offers three-year post-graduate diploma courses in film direction, editing, cinematography and audiography; two-year courses in acting and art direction; a one and a half year course in computer graphics and animation; a one-year course in feature film scriptwriting. One-year post-graduate certificate in direction, electronic cinematography, video editing and audiography are also part of the courses offered.
The FTII is registered under Societies' Registration Act of 1860. The Society is headed by a President, who also functions as the Chairman of the Governing Council, the Academic Council and the Standing Finance Committee. The Governing Council is constituted by election from among the members of the Society. The Governing Council is the apex body of the FTII and is responsible for making all major policy decisions of the Institute. The council, in turn, appoints the Academic Council and the Standing Finance Committee, members of both of which are responsible for advising the FTII in policy matters related to academic affairs and financial matters.
A Director serves as the institute's Executive Head and implements its policies and programmes. Prashant Pathrabe, a 1992 batch officer of Indian Information Service (IIS), has been given temporary charge as Director following end of the term of DJ Narain. Gajendra Chauhan, the designated chairman of the governing council, is yet to join, owing to protest overs his appointment. The protests have been continuing for over 95 days but the logjam over appointment still remains.
Past Presidents of FTII Society
- Anwar Jamal Kidwai (November 1, 1974 – September 30, 1977)
- S M H Burney (November 25, 1975 – September 30, 1977)
- R K Laxman (November 1, 1977 – September 30, 1980)
- Shyam Benegal (February 5, 1981-September 30, 1983 September 1989-September 30, 1992)
- Mrinal Sen ( April 9, 1984 – September 30, 1986)
- Adoor Gopalakrishnan (September 1, 1987-September 1989 November 21, 1992-September 30, 1995)
- Mahesh Bhatt (November 20, 1995 – September 30, 1998)
- Girish Karnad (February 16, 1999 – October 10, 2001)
- Vinod Khanna (October 12, 2001-February 2002 March 4, 2002 – March 3, 2005)
- U R Ananthamurthy March 4, 2005 – March 3, 2008 March 4, 2008 – March 3, 2011
- Saeed Akhtar Mirza March 4, 2011 – March 3, 2014
- Anish John
- Adoor Gopalakrishnan
- Anjali Paigankar
- Apurba Kishore Bir
- Balu Mahendra
- Danny Denzongpa
- Divyendu Sharma
- Girish Kasaravalli
- Gurvinder Singh
- Jahnu Baruah
- Jaideep Ahlawat
- Jaya Bachchan
- Jaya Krishna Gummadi
- John Abraham
- K. G. George
- Ketan Mehta
- Kranti Kanade
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda
- Kumar Shahani
- Kundan Shah
- Mani Kaul
- Mithun Chakraborty
- Mukesh Khanna
- Naseeruddin Shah
- Navin Nischol
- Nishan K. P. Nanaiah
- Om Puri
- Pitobash Tripathy
- Prakash Jha
- Ramachandra Babu
- Raja Bundela
- Rajeev Ravi
- Rajkumar Hirani
- Rajkummar Rao
- Rakesh Bedi
- Rakesh Pandey
- Raza Murad
- Radha Saluja
- Rehana Sultan
- Renu Saluja
- Resul Pookutty
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Sanjivan Lal
- Santosh Sivan
- Santosh Thundiyil
- Satish Kaul
- Satish Kaushik
- Shabana Azmi
- Shaji N. Karun
- Shatrughan Sinha
- Prof. Shyamal Karmakar
- Smita Patil
- Sriram Raghavan
- Umesh Upadhyay
- Vidhu Vinod Chopra
- Vijay Arora
For more refer to Film and Television Institute of India alumni
On 18 August 2015 police in a mid night crack down arrested striking students who confined FTII Director Prashant Pathrabe and other staffers in his office for eight hours, and vandalized office furniture and fittings. The director claimed that students harassed and mentally tortured him. The students were released on bail. A video showing students surrounding the director and shouting was released by the management. In response the students released an undated video of cops malhandling students and breaking glass in Director's office was released. The striking students vehemently condemned the act by the Pune police to come and arrest students past midnight.
- FTII Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Govt. of India Official website.
- "About Us". Film and Television Institute of India. 2008-11-14. Archived from the original on 2008-06-15. Retrieved 2008-11-14.
- "On Gajendra Chauhan's plate, admin and academics". The Indian Express. 13 July 2015. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "FTII Administrative Structure". FTII. 13 July 2015. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "IIS Officer Prashant Pathrabe Appointed New FTII Director". FTII. 17 July 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Govt doing nothing to end logjam: FTII students". news.biharprabha.com. ANI. 15 September 2015. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- Chandra, Anupama (15 March 1996). "Searching for direction". India Today. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "FTII studio reopens after 31 years". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "FTII-Film and television institute of india,Pune". Virtualpune.com. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "FTII at Indiatimes Movies". Movies.indiatimes.com. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "Give me a chance: Gajendra Chauhan post FTII furore - The Times of India". Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "FTII stir: Students protest Gajendra Chauhan's appointment - The Times of India". Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "Bollywood's talent pool (Diploma films over the years)". The Tribune. August 5, 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Film and Television Institute of India.|