Filmfare Award for Best Actor
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018)
|Filmfare Awards for Best Actor|
|Awarded for||Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role|
|First awarded||Dilip Kumar, |
|Currently held by||Irrfan Khan, |
Angrezi Medium (2021)
The Filmfare Award for Best Actor is an award, begun in 1954, presented annually at the Filmfare Awards to an actor via a jury. This is given by Filmfare as part of its annual Filmfare Awards for Hindi (Bollywood) films. The award was first given in 1954. The 2021 winner of the award is Irrfan Khan. As of 2020, Dilip Kumar and Shah Rukh Khan lead the list, with 8 wins each.
|Actor with most awards||Dilip Kumar, Shah Rukh Khan||8|
|Actor with most nominations||Amitabh Bachchan||33|
|Actor with most consecutive nominations||Aamir Khan (1989-97)||9|
|Actor with most decades||Amitabh Bachchan||6|
|Actor with most nominations in a single year||Amitabh Bachchan (1979,1983)
Shah Rukh Khan (2005)
|Actor with most nominations without ever winning||Salman Khan||10|
|Oldest winner||Amitabh Bachchan||67|
|Oldest nominee||Amitabh Bachchan||78|
|Youngest winner||Rishi Kapoor (1973)||21|
|Youngest nominee||Darsheel Safary (2008)||11|
- Dilip Kumar also holds the record for most consecutive wins, having won the award for three years in a row from 1956 to 1958. Six other actors have won the award in consecutive years; in chronological order, they are Rajesh Khanna (1971–72), Sanjeev Kumar (1976–77), Amitabh Bachchan (1978–79), Naseeruddin Shah (1981–82), Shah Rukh Khan (1998–99), and Ranbir Kapoor (2012–13).
- Actors who have won both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor awards include Ashok Kumar, Sanjeev Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Shammi Kapoor, Anil Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Sunny Deol, Jackie Shroff, Nana Patekar, Farhan Akhtar, Rishi Kapoor and Irrfan Khan.
- Three actors were nominated for both these awards, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor, for the same performance: Raaj Kumar for Kaajal (1966), Ashok Kumar for Aashirwad (1970) and Kamal Haasan for Saagar (1986). On both occasions, Ashok Kumar and Kamal Haasan won the Best Actor award and Raaj Kumar won the Best Supporting Actor award.
- 10 actors have won the Best Actor award in both the Popular and Critics categories; in chronological order they are; Anupam Kher, Shah Rukh Khan, Anil Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan, Hrithik Roshan, Aamir Khan, Ranbir Kapoor, Rishi Kapoor, Shahid Kapoor, Irrfan Khan and Ranveer Singh.
- Actors who won both these Best Actor awards (Popular and Critics) in the same year are Shah Rukh Khan (1994), Hrithik Roshan (2004), Amitabh Bachchan (2006) and Ranbir Kapoor (2012).
- 3 actors have won the Best Actor award for their debut performances: Rishi Kapoor for Bobby (1974), Anupam Kher for Saaransh (1985) and Hrithik Roshan for Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai (2001). Other actors who got nominated in this category for their debut performances are Sunny Deol for Betaab (1984) and Darsheel Safary for Taare Zameen Par (2008).
- Darsheel Safary became the youngest Best Actor nominee in the history of Filmfare at the age of 11 for Taare Zameen Par (2008). Rishi Kapoor became the youngest winner of the Best Actor award at the age of 21 for Bobby (1974).
- Aamir Khan has the highest number of consecutive nominations, having been nominated for the award every year from 1989 till 1997, eventually winning in the 9th consecutive nomination for Raja Hindustani (1997); followed by Amitabh Bachchan being nominated consecutive eight times from 1976 to 1983 having total 15 nominations and winning the award twice in 1978 and 1979 for Amar Akbar Anthony and Don respectively.
- Dilip Kumar achieved supremacy in the 1950s with 4 wins and continued domination in the 1960s with 3 wins. Rajesh Khanna took over in the 1970s with 3 wins. Naseeruddin Shah emerged successful in the 1980s with 3 wins. Shah Rukh Khan triumphed in the 1990s with 4 wins. Hrithik Roshan had 4 wins in the 2000s. Ranbir Kapoor led the 2010s with 3 wins to his credit.
- Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan hold the record for the highest number of Best Actor nominations in a single year. Amitabh Bachchan has been nominated thrice in 1979 and 1983 and Shah Rukh Khan in 2005.
- Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan are the most awarded actors in the overall acting categories, with 8 awards each: Dilip Kumar and Shah Rukh Khan are the winners of eight Best Actor awards, and Amitabh Bachchan is the winner of five Best Actor awards and three Best Supporting Actor awards. Amitabh Bachchan is the most nominated actor in any major acting category at Filmfare, with 42 nominations overall.
- Amitabh Bachchan holds a unique record of receiving nominations in this category in 6 decades (1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020s) and getting an award in 4 decades.
- Hrithik Roshan, Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan are the only actors to be nominated twice for the same role. Hrithik Roshan achieved this feat twice in the Krrish franchise; he was nominated for his role as Krishna Mehra for Krrish in 2007 and 2014 for Krrish 3, and for his role as Rohit Mehra in 2004 for Koi... Mil Gaya and 2014 for Krrish 3 (he won in 2004). Shah Rukh Khan was nominated in 2007 and 2012 for his portrayal of the titular character in Don and Salman Khan was nominated in 2011 and 2013 for his role as Chulbul Pandey in Dabangg and Dabangg 2 respectively.
- Devdas is the only character to win most Best Actor awards. Both Dilip Kumar and Shah Rukh Khan won for portraying the titular character in Devdas and Devdas, respectively in 1956 and in 2003.
- Ranbir Kapoor is the only actor to win a Best Actor award for portraying a real Best Actor winner. He won in 2019 for portraying Sanjay Dutt in Sanju.
- 33 Nominations: Amitabh Bachchan
- 26 Nominations: Shah Rukh Khan
- 19 Nominations: Dilip Kumar, Aamir Khan
- 14 Nominations: Rajesh Khanna, Hrithik Roshan
- 11 Nominations: Sanjeev Kumar
- 10 Nominations: Salman Khan
- 9 Nominations: Ranbir Kapoor
- 8 Nominations: Anil Kapoor, Ajay Devgn
- 8 Wins: Dilip Kumar, Shah Rukh Khan
- 5 Wins: Amitabh Bachchan
- 4 Wins: Hrithik Roshan
- 3 Wins: Rajesh Khanna, Naseeruddin Shah, Aamir Khan, Ranbir Kapoor
- 2 Wins: Raj Kapoor, Dev Anand, Ashok Kumar, Sunil Dutt, Sanjeev Kumar, Anil Kapoor, Ranveer Singh, Irrfan Khan
Winners and nominees
|Indicates the winner|
|Year||Photos of winners||Actor||Role(s)||Film|
|No Other Nominee|
|Bharat Bhushan||Chaitanya Mahaprabhu||Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu|
|No Other Nominee|
|Dilip Kumar||Abdul Rahim Khan||Azaad|
|Bharat Bhushan||Mirza Ghalib||Mirza Ghalib|
|Dev Anand||Kala Ghoda||Munimji|
|Dilip Kumar||Devdas Mukherjee||Devdas|
|Raj Kapoor||Peasant||Jagte Raho|
|Dilip Kumar||Shankar||Naya Daur|
|No Other Nominee|
|Dev Anand||Karan Mehra||Kala Pani|
|Raj Kapoor||Ram Babu||Phir Subah Hogi|
|Raj Kapoor||Raj Kumar||Anari|
|Dev Anand||Sunil Kumar||Love Marriage|
|Dilip Kumar||Ratan Lal||Paigham|
|Year||Photos of winners||Actor||Role(s)||Film|
|Dilip Kumar||Rajkumar Dhivendra Pratap Bahadur Chandrabhan||Kohinoor|
|Dev Anand||Raghuvir||Kala Bazar|
|Raj Kapoor||Raju||Jis Desh Men Ganga Behti Hai|
|Dev Anand||Capt. Anand/Major. Manohar Lal Verma||Hum Dono|
|Dilip Kumar||Gungaram||Gunga Jumna|
|Ashok Kumar||Raj Kumar||Rakhi|
|Guru Dutt||Atulya "Bhootnath" Chakraborty||Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam|
|Shammi Kapoor||Pritam Khanna||Professor|
|Sunil Dutt||Thakur Jarnail Singh||Mujhe Jeene Do|
|Ashok Kumar||Barrister Ashok||Gumrah|
|Rajendra Kumar||Dr. Dharmesh||Dil Ek Mandir|
|Dilip Kumar||Vijay Khanna||Leader|
|Rajendra Kumar||Shyam||Ayee Milan Ki Bela|
|Raj Kapoor||Lieutenant Sundar Khanna||Sangam|
|Sunil Dutt||Govind S. Lal||Khandan|
|Dharmendra||Shakti "Shaaka" Singh||Phool Aur Patthar|
|Dilip Kumar||Shankar / Rajasahab||Dil Diya Dard Liya|
|Ram Aur Shyam|
|Sunil Dutt||Gopikishan a.k.a. Gopi||Milan|
|Dilip Kumar||Rajesh Sahab||Aadmi|
|Kundan S. Prasad||Sunghursh|
|Ashok Kumar||Shivnath Choudhary a.k.a. Jogi Thakur||Aashirwad|
|Rajesh Khanna||Arun Prasad Saxena / Suraj Prasad Saxena||Aradhana|
|Year||Photos of winners||Actor||Role(s)||Film||Ref.|
|Irfan Khan||Champak Ghasiteram Bansal||Angrezi Medium|||
|Ajay Devgn||Tanaji Malusare||Tanhaji|
|Amitabh Bachchan||Chunnan "Mirza" Nawab||Gulabo Sitabo|
|Ayushmann Khurrana||Kartik Singh||Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan|
|Rajkummar Rao||Alok “Alu” Kumar Gupta||Ludo|
|Sushant Singh Rajput||Immanuel "Manny" Rajkumar Junior||Dil Bechara|
- Cinema of India
- Filmfare Best Actress Award
- Filmfare Awards East
- Filmfare Awards South
- Filmfare Marathi Awards
- "The Winners - 1994". Filmfare. Archived from the original on 8 July 2007. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- "Filmfare Awards 2016: Bajirao Mastani, Badlapur Lead Nominations". NDTV.com. Retrieved 1 April 2021.
- "Filmfare Awards 2017 Nominations | 62nd Filmfare Awards 2017". filmfare.com. Retrieved 27 January 2021.
- "Filmfare Awards 2018 Nominations | 63rd Filmfare Awards 2018". filmfare.com. Retrieved 27 January 2021.
- "Filmfare Awards 2019 Nominations | 64th Filmfare Awards 2019". filmfare.com. Retrieved 27 January 2021.
- "Filmfare Awards 2020 Nominations | 65th Filmfare Awards 2020". filmfare.com. Retrieved 27 January 2021.
- "Winners of 67th Vimal Elachi Filmfare Awards 2021". filmfare.com. Retrieved 28 March 2021.