Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Filmfare Best Villain Award was given by Filmfare as part of its annual Filmfare Awards for Hindi films, to recognise an actor who had delivered an outstanding performance in a negative role. Although the awards started in 1954, this category was first introduced in 1992, and has not been awarded since 2007. The bollywood superstar to win the most number of awards in a negative role is Amjad Khan Followed by 2- Amrish Puri 3- Pran 4- Ranjeet 5- Dilip Kumar 6- Shah Rukh Khan 7- Manoj Kumar 8- Amitabh Bachchan 9- Danny 10- Yousuf Khan
As the award was instituted in 1991, it could not be given to some of the famous Bollywood villains of the preceding decades:
- Amjad Khan for his role of Gabbar Singh in Sholay (1975), although he was nominated in the Best Supporting Actor category.
- Amrish Puri for his role of Mogambo in Mr. India (1987), although he was nominated 7 times once the category was instituted. Unfortunately, he never won.
- Actors like Pran, Prem Chopra, Jeevan, Ajit and Ranjeet, who were known for their portrayal of negative roles in the 70s and 80s.
|Most Awards||Nana Patekar
|2 awards||Awards resulted from 3 nominations|
Awards resulted from 2 nominations
|Most Nominations||Amrish Puri||7 nominations||Nominations resulted in 0 awards.|
|Most Nominations without a Win||Amrish Puri||7 nominations||–|
Ashutosh Rana is the only actor to have won the award twice in a row, in 1998 and 1999. Amrish Puri was nominated consecutively for three years from 1991 to 1993. Also, Danny Dengzongpa is the only actor to have been nominated twice in the same year in 1994, although he failed to win.
Priyanka Chopra and Abhishek Bachchan are the only actors to have been nominated in another acting category along with the Best Villain category for the same role. Priyanka Chopra was nominated for her role in Aitraaz in the Best Supporting Actress category. Abhishek Bachchan was nominated as well for Yuva.
In 1997, Kajol became the first female actor to be nominated in this category and win the award for her role in Gupt.She and Priyanka Chopra (for Aitraaz) are the only female actor who won this award. Other actresses to have been nominated are Urmila Matondkar for Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya in 2001, Shabana Azmi for Makdee in 2002, Bipasha Basu for Jism in 2003, Preity Zinta for Armaan in 2003 and Amrita Singh for Kalyug in 2005.
Preity Zinta for Armaan in 2003 is the only actor to be nominated for the Best Actress award as well as this award in the same year.
The following 14 actors have received multiple Best Villain nominations. The list is sorted by the number of total awards (with the number of total nominations listed in parentheses).
- 2 : Nana Patekar (3)
- 2 : Ashutosh Rana (2)
- 1 : Ajay Devgn (3)
- 1 : Shah Rukh Khan (3)
- 1 : Sadashiv Amrapurkar (2)
- 1 : Paresh Rawal (2)
- 1 : Sunil Shetty (2)
- 1 : Akshay Kumar (1)
- 1 : Irrfan Khan (1)
- 0 : Amrish Puri (7)
- 0 : Danny Denzongpa (5)
- 0 : Naseeruddin Shah (4)
- 0 : John Abraham (2)
- 0 : Manoj Bajpai (2)
- 0 : Milind Gunaji (2)
- 0 : Ashish Vidyarthi (2)
Winners and nominees
In the list below, the winner of the award for each year is shown first, followed by the other nominees. The films are listed by the years when the award was presented.
- 1992 Sadashiv Amrapurkar – Sadak
- 1993 Nana Patekar – Angaar
- 1994 Paresh Rawal – Sir
- 1995 Shah Rukh Khan – Anjaam
- 1996 Mithun Chakraborty – Jallaad
- 1997 Arbaaz Khan – Daraar
- 1998 Kajol – Gupt
- 1999 Ashutosh Rana – Dushman
- 2000 Ashutosh Rana – Sangharsh
- 2001 Sunil Shetty – Dhadkan
- 2002 Akshay Kumar – Ajnabee
- 2003 Ajay Devgn – Deewangee
- 2004 Irfan Khan – Haasil
- 2005 Priyanka Chopra - Aitraaz
- 2006 Nana Patekar – Apaharan
- 2007 Saif Ali Khan – Omkara
- Nasreen Munni Kabir's book Bollywood, Channel 4 Books 2001, for a whole chapter on villains and vamps.