Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Stanley Tucci|
|Written by||Stanley Tucci|
|Music by||Evan Lurie|
|Edited by||Camilla Toniolo|
|Box office||$1.7 million worldwide|
Final Portrait is a 2017 British-American drama film written and directed by Stanley Tucci. The film stars Geoffrey Rush, Armie Hammer, Clémence Poésy, Tony Shalhoub, James Faulkner and Sylvie Testud.
The film had its world premiere at the Berlin International Film Festival on February 11, 2017. It was released in the United Kingdom on August 18, 2017, by Vertigo Releasing. On March 23, 2018, Sony Pictures Classics released the film in the United States.
In Paris 1964, famed sculptor Alberto Giacometti bumps into his old friend James Lord, an American critic, and asks him to be a model for his latest portrait in his studio for a couple of days. Flattered by the request, Lord complies and as the days turn into weeks, he realizes his entire life has been wasted by this erratic genius. Jumping between joy and frustration, Lord finally sees logic in Giacometti's artistic but chaotic vision as he witnesses the genius complete one of his last masterpieces.
- Geoffrey Rush as Alberto Giacometti
- Armie Hammer as James Lord
- Clémence Poésy as Caroline
- Tony Shalhoub as Diego Giacometti
- James Faulkner as Pierre Matisse
- Sylvie Testud as Annette Arm
On 2 February 2015 Geoffrey Rush joined the cast of the film. On 13 May 2015 Armie Hammer joined the cast of the film. On 12 February 2016 Tony Shalhoub, Clémence Poésy and Sylvie Testud joined the cast of the film. Principal photography began on 15 February 2016.
The film had its world premiere at the Berlin International Film Festival on February 11, 2017. Shortly after, Vertigo Releasing and Sony Pictures Classics acquired U.K. and U.S. distribution rights to the film, respectively. It was released in the United Kingdom on August 18, 2017.
Final Portrait received positive reviews from film critics. It holds a 73% approval rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 127 reviews, and an average rating of 6.61/10. The website's critical consensus reads, ""Final Portrait finds writer-director Stanley Tucci patiently telling a quietly absorbing story, brought to life by a talented ensemble led by Geoffrey Rush and Armie Hammer. On Metacritic, the film holds a rating of 70 out of 100, based on 32 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Final Portrait". The Numbers. Nash Information Services, LLC. Retrieved February 28, 2018.
- Jaafar, Ali (February 2, 2015). "Geoffrey Rush Sits For Stanley Tucci's 'Final Portrait'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- Jaafar, Ali (May 13, 2015). "Armie Hammer Joins 'Final Portrait' Movie Starring Geoffrey Rush". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (February 12, 2012). "Tony Shalhoub, Clemence Poesy Join Stanley Tucci's 'Final Portrait'". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- SSN Insider Staff (February 19, 2016). "On the Set for 2/19/16: Rian Johnson Rolls Cameras on 'Star Wars: Episode VIII', Chris Pratt & Zoe Saldana Start 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'". SSN Insider. Archived from the original on May 5, 2016. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- "Film File: Final Portrait". Berlin International Film Festival. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- Parfitt, Orlando (April 29, 2017). "Stanley Tucci's Giacometti biopic 'Final Portrait' gets UK deal". Screen Daily. Screen International. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 16, 2017). "Stanley Tucci's 'Final Portrait' Taken By Sony Pictures Classics – Cannes". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- "Final Portrait". Launching Films. Film Distributors' Association. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- Galuppo, Mia (January 31, 2018). "SXSW: Emily Blunt's 'A Quiet Place' to Open Fest". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- "Final Portrait". SXSW Schedule. South by Southwest. Archived from the original on March 9, 2018. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- Scherstuhl, Alan (March 20, 2018). "Stanley Tucci's Art Comedy 'Final Portrait' Asks, 'What If Inspiration Never Strikes?'". The Village Voice. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- "Final Portrait (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved May 12, 2020.
- "Final Portrait Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved May 12, 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Final Portrait.|