Financial Information Authority (Vatican City)
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
|This article is part a series on the|
|Vatican City portal|
The Financial Information Authority (Italian: Autorità di Informazione Finanziaria, or AIF) is an institution connected to the Holy See and a canonical and Vatican civil juridic person established by Pope Benedict XVI on 30 December 2010. The president of the AIF is René Brülhart, the first lay person in this position.
The authority, according to the new Statute approved by Pope Francis on 15 November 2013, is the competent authority of the Holy See and the Vatican City State in charge for financial intelligence and supervision, including both anti money laundering and combating financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) and prudential supervision, of the entities carrying out financial activities on a professional basis, as established by articles 2 and 52 of the Vatican Law no. XVIII of 8 October 2013.
On 5 June 2014, Pope Francis appointed Tommaso Di Ruzza, legal counselor of the Holy See and senior officer in charge of the legal and international matters for the authority since the beginning of its functions in 2011, as the authority's interim Vice Director and also completely replaced the members of the authority's Board. As of 5 June 2014, the Board members are: Dr. Bianca Maria Farina, managing director of the Italian insurance company Poste Vita; Dr. Marc Odendall, a financial consultant for the philanthropic sector in Switzerland; Joseph Yuvaraj Pillay, Chairman of the Board of Consultors to the President of the Republic of Singapore; and Dr. Juan Zarate, senior adviser at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, D.C.. 
The AIF has its seat in Palazzo San Carlo, Vatican City, close to Domus Sanctae Marthae.
Presidents of the Board
- Cardinal Attilio Nicora (2011–2014)
- Bishop Giorgio Corbellini (2014 ad interim)
- René Brülhart (since 2014)
- Francesco De Pasquale (2011 - 2013)
- Deputy Alfredo Pallini (2011 - 2012)
- René Brülhart (2013 - 2014)
- Deputy ad interim Tommaso Di Ruzza (2014 - 2015)
- Tommaso Di Ruzza (since 2015)
- Apostolic Letter in the Form of a "Motu Proprio" of Benedict XVI for the Prevention and Countering of Illegal Activities in the Area of Monetary and Financial Dealings Archived 21 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine., (b)
- Apostolic Letter in the Form of a "Motu Proprio" of Benedict XVI for the Prevention and Countering of Illegal Activities in the Area of Monetary and Financial Dealings Archived 21 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine., "given" clause
- "Pope appoints new president of the finance agency". News.va. November 20, 2014. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- "Vatican Financial Intelligence Authority Admitted to Global Network of Financial Intelligence Units". Zenit News Agency. 3 July 2013. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- Allen Jr., John L. (30 January 2014). "Francis taps reformer for financial cleanup". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved 31 January 2014.