|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Financial management refers to the efficient and effective management of money (funds) in such a manner as to accomplish the objectives of the organization. It is the specialized function directly associated with the top management. The significance of this function is not seen in the 'Line' but also in the capacity of 'Staff' in overall of a company. It has been defined differently by different experts in the field.
The term typically applies to an organization or company's financial strategy, while personal finance or financial life management refers to an individual's management strategy. It includes how to raise the capital and how to allocate capital, i.e. capital budgeting. Not only for long term budgeting, but also how to allocate the short term resources like current liabilities. It also deals with the dividend policies of the share holders.
Definitions of Financial Management
- "Planning is an inextricable dimension of financial management. The term financial management connotes that funds flows are directed according to some plan." By James Van Morne
- "Financial management is that activity of management which is concerned with the planning, procuring and controlling of the firm's financial resources. " By Deepika &Maya Rani
- “Financial Management is the Operational Activity of a business that is responsible for obtaining and effectively utilizing the funds necessary for efficient operation.” By Joseph Massie
- “Business finance deals primarily with rising administering and disbursing funds by privately owned business units operating in non-financial fields of industry.”– By Kuldeep Roy
- “Financial Management is an area of financial decision making, harmonizing individual motives and enterprise goals." -By Weston and Brigham
- “Financial management is the area of business management devoted to a judicious use of capital and a careful selection of sources of capital in order to enable a business firm to move in the direction of reaching its goals.” – by J.F.Bradlery
- “Financial management is the application of the planning and control function to the finance function.” – by K.D. Willson
- “Financial management may be defined as that area or set of administrative function in an organization which relate with arrangement of cash and credit so that organization may have the means to carry out its objective as satisfactorily as possible." - by Howard & Opton.
- Business finance can be broadly defined as the activity concerned with planning, raising, controlling and administering of funds and in the business. “ by H.G Gathman & H.E Dougall
- Financial management is a body of business concerned with the efficient and effective use of either equity capital, borrowed cash or any other business funds as well as taking the right decision for profit maximization and value addition of an entity.- Kepher Petra; Kisii University.
- Finance management not only for the business, but also for every expenses. Like its for the home base expenses or the government expenses. The government also need to manage the finance for the develop of the country and the household also need to manage their expenses properly - By Vinod Verma
"Financial management refers to proper and efficient use of money" and it plays a significant role in analyzing to invest in profitable business enterprise..Return on Investment must be greater than the invested amount..By Ibrar Alam.
Objectives of Financial Management
- Profit maximization occurs when marginal cost is equal to marginal revenue. This is the main objective of Financial Management.
- Wealth maximization means maximization of shareholders' wealth. It is an advanced goal compared to profit maximization.
- Survival of company is an important consideration when the financial manager makes any financial decisions. One incorrect decision may lead company to be bankrupt.
- Maintaining proper cash flow is a short run objective of financial management. It is necessary for operations to pay the day-to-day expenses e.g. raw material, electricity bills, wages, rent etc. A good cash flow ensures the survival of company.
- Minimization on capital cost in financial management can help operations gain more profit.
Scope of Financial Management
- Estimating the Requirement of Funds: Businesses make forecast on funds needed in both short run and long run, hence, they can improve the efficiency of funding. The estimation is based on the budget e.g. sales budget, production budget.
- Determining the Capital Structure: Capital structure is how a firm finances its overall operations and growth by using different sources of funds. Once the requirement of funds has estimated, the financial manager should decide the mix of debt and equity and also types of debt.
- Investment Fund: A good investment plan can bring businesses huge returns.
Financial Management for Start Up
For new enterprises, it is important to make a good estimation on costs, sales. Consideration on appropriate length sources of finances can help businesses avoid the cash flow problems even the failure of setting up. There are fixed and current sides of assets balance sheet. Fixed assets refers to assets that cannot be converted into cash easily, like plant, property, equipment etc. A current asset is an item on an entity's balance sheet that is either cash, a cash equivalent, or which can be converted into cash within one year. It is not easy for start ups to forecast the current asset, because there are changes in receivables and payables.
Online Financial Management Tools
- Salesforce Invoice and Payment Platform: It builds strong, collaborative relationships with suppliers, and continuously looking for new solutions that provides five better ways to partner with users. It also has partnered with Taulia, a market-leading provider of invoice, payment, and financial management solutions to provide you with our new Invoice and Payment Portal. The Invoice and Payment Portal will provide users with 24/7 visibility into invoice and payment status, and the ability to accept early payment offers – entirely free of charge.
- BooksTime: They offer a remote accounting & bookkeeping solution for startups, small businesses, and nonprofits. In addition to providing customized financial dashboards, they handle reporting, budgeting and forecasting, as well as routine bookkeeping tasks and also catch-up/clean-up projects.
- BodeTree: It provides real-time access to all of users' financial accounts in one place. Monitor cash flow, uncover trends, and plan for the future in under five minutes.
- Bench: It is an online bookkeeping service that provides users' business with its own personal professional bookkeeper at bank level security of users' financial information, and tax time support to help lower your business-related stress levels.
- Intelli Bookkeeping: A remote bookkeeping solution for startups and small business. The company manages daily, monthly and quarterly financial tasks such as financial reporting, cash flow, budgeting and forecasting.
- Managerial finance, a branch of finance concerned with the managerial significance of finance techniques
- Corporate finance, a branch of finance concerned with monetary resource allocations made by corporations
- Financial management for IT services, financial management of IT assets and resources
- Financial Planning Association, an organization for finance and economics students and professionals
- Financial Management Service, a bureau of the U.S. Treasury which provides financial services for the government
- Financial planner
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Financial management|
- "Financial Management: Definition, Aims, Scope and Functions". YourArticleLibrary.com: The Next Generation Library. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Business Finance and Financial Management". UpFina. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Wealth Maximization". eFinanceManagement. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Capital Structure Definition | Investopedia". Investopedia. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- Nobanee, Haitham; Abraham, Jaya (2015). "Current assets management of small enterprises". Journal of Economic Studie.
- "What are fixed assets? | The e-conomic Accounting Glossary". www.e-conomic.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Current Asset Definition - AccountingTools". www.accountingtools.com. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "The Top 4 Cash Flow Forecasting Mistakes". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Salesforce Supplier Welcome | Taulia". supplier.taulia.com. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Hassle-Free Bookkeeping For Small Business". Hassle-Free Bookkeeping For Small Business. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- "Simplify Your Business Finances - BodeTree". BodeTree. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Features". bench.co. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Services - Intelli Bookkeeping". Intelli Bookkeeping. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- faustin.G. karamage