Finch Hatton, Queensland
The locality occupies part of the Cattle Creek valley (background)
The Finch Hatton War Memorial was erected in 1921. It commemorated those servicemen from Finch Hatton and Netherdale who died in World War I. Later an additional plaque was added with the details of those who died in World War II. The memorial is located in Anzac Parade ( ).
On 18 February 1958, Mackay was hit with massive flooding caused by heavy rainfall upstream with 878 mm of rain falling at Finch Hatton in 24 hours. The flood peaked at 9.14 metres (29.99 ft). The water flowed down the valley and flooded Mackay within hours. Residents were rescued off rooftops by boats and taken to emergency accommodation. The flood broke Australian records.
Finch Hatton has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- "Hatton Finch (town) (entry 12437)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "Hatton Finch (locality) (entry 46785)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Finch Hatton (L)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Opening and closing dates of Queensland Schools". Queensland Government. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "Agency ID5218, Finch Hatton State School". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Finch Hatton War Memorial". Monument Australia. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Flood Warning System for the Pioneer River. Bom.gov.au. Retrieved on 18 August 2011.
- "Finch Hatton War Memorial (entry 600723)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Finch Hatton Railway Station (entry 600985)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Queensland State and Non-State Schools". Queensland Government. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "2012 School Annual Report" (PDF). Finch Hatton State School. Archived (PDF) from the original on 26 May 2014. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Libraries: Contact/Opening Hours". Mackay Regional Council. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- "Mobile Library Timetable 2017" (PDF). Mackay Regional Council. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- Finch Hatton State School (2009), 100 years of memories : the school on the hill, Finch Hatton School, retrieved 28 October 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Finch Hatton, Queensland.|