Find a Way (A Tribe Called Quest song)
|"Find a Way"|
|Single by A Tribe Called Quest|
|from the album The Love Movement|
|B-side||"Steppin' It Up"|
|Released||August 25, 1998|
|Genre||Alternative hip hop|
|Songwriter(s)||Kamaal Fareed, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Malik Taylor, James Yancey, Bebel Gilberto, Towa Tei|
|A Tribe Called Quest singles chronology|
"Find a Way" is a song by A Tribe Called Quest, the first single from their fifth album The Love Movement. The New York Times' Ben Ratliff wrote that "Find a Way" "innocently wonders about the point at which friendship spills over into sex."
The song is one of eight songs on the album to feature production "initiated by JD of The Ummah." It samples "Technova" by Towa Tei. In 1990, Q-Tip appeared on the hit single "Groove Is in the Heart" by Deee-Lite, a group that Towa Tei was involved with until 1996.
The video starts in outer space, with a wide view of Earth that is later revealed to be a decoration in Ali Shaheed Muhammad's car. Ali spots three girls, and Q-Tip decides to flirt with all three. A scene of California appears and shows the group walking on the beach while Phife Dawg is rapping. Next, the scene changes to a party, showing Q-Tip experiencing a romantic moment. From there, the video shifts to an art museum where Q-Tip is talking to his girl. The video then returns to Phife Dawg on the beach, telling a girl that he will do what she wants. The video ends with the group in a club, dancing with women and having fun. During the final chorus, the video pans once again to outer space, then shows the group sleeping in Ali's car. There is an iconic sing-along style bouncing ball each time the chorus plays.
|UK Singles Chart||41|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||71|
|U.S. Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks||29|
|U.S. Hot Rap Singles||18|
- Tribe Called Quest Focuses On New Disc . Rolling Stone (June 18, 1998). Accessed December 27, 2008.
- Ratliff, Ben (November 27, 1998). POP REVIEW; After a Decade, Rap's Tribe Called Quest Goes Silent. The New York Times. Accessed December 22, 2008.
- A Tribe Called Quest – The Love Movement Discogs. Accessed on April 29, 2017.
- Warwick, Neil; Kutner, Jon; Brown, Tony (2004). The Complete Book of the British Charts, p. 1122. Omnibus Press. ISBN 1-84449-058-0.
- allmusic ((( The Love Movement > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles ))). Allmusic. Accessed December 22, 2008.