|Screenplay by||Mari Sova|
|Based on||Finding Jack|
by Gareth Crocker
|Starring||Digital double of James Dean|
|Music by||Laurent Eyquem|
|Distributed by||Magic City Films|
Finding Jack is an upcoming American war film based on the novel of the same title by Gareth Crocker. The film will be directed by Anton Ernst and Tati Golykh, written by Mari Sova, and distributed by Magic City Films. The film will feature a digital double of James Dean in the starring role. It will detail accounts of abandoned canine units following the Vietnam War.
A film adaptation of Crocker's novel Finding Jack was announced with Ernst, Golykh, and Sova attached in November 2019, along with the usage of a digital double render of Dean, who had died in 1955. Dean's cousins from his estate supported this, while some entertainment industry figures criticized the practice.
Development and pre-production
In November 2019, a film adaptation of Gareth Crocker's novel Finding Jack was announced to be in development, with Anton Ernst and Tati Golykh set to direct from a screenplay being written by Mari Sova, and Magic City Films set to distribute the film. The plot was to center on accounts of the abandonment of thousands of canine units at the end of the Vietnam War. A digital double of James Dean, who died in 1955, was set to appear in the starring role of Rogan, with film footage and photographs of Dean set to be used for rendering this appearance, a method which was supported by two of Dean's cousins that represent his estate. Ernst and Golykh had previously planned to feature digital doubles of Elvis Presley and Paul Newman, but were turned down by Elvis Presley Enterprises for the former. However, the practice of recreating a deceased actor's likeness for a contemporary film was met with anger from actors, including Chris Evans and Elijah Wood, while Zelda Williams described it as "puppeteering the dead." In response, Ernst said he was "saddened and confused" by the negative reactions, and that it had never been intended as a "marketing gimmick".
Upon the film's announcement, Laurent Eyquem was set to compose the score, with the main song written by Diane Warren.
- Ritman, Alex (November 20, 2019). "James Dean Movie Directors Initially Wanted CGI Elvis Presley". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 20, 2019.
- Ritman, Alex (November 5, 2019). "James Dean Reborn in CGI for Vietnam War Action-Drama (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 5, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (November 6, 2019). "James Dean Will Be Digitally Resurrected for Vietnam War Movie". Variety. Retrieved November 8, 2019.
- "Director of 'Finding Jack' Speaks Out on James Dean Casting Backlash". The Hollywood Reporter. November 8, 2019. Retrieved November 8, 2019.
- Toto, Christian (November 14, 2019). "James Dean's 'return' to big screen draws mixed reviews: 'Is there something human underneath?'". The Washington Times. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- "James Dean CGI 'Casting' Angers Avengers Star Chris Evans". BBC. November 7, 2019. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- O'Connor, Roisin (November 8, 2019). "James Dean 'resurrection' for new film Finding Jack sparks furious row". The Independent. Retrieved November 8, 2019.