Finding Your Feet
|Finding Your Feet|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Richard Loncraine|
|Music by||Michael J McEvoy|
|Edited by||Johnny Daukes|
|Box office||$15.5 million|
Finding Your Feet is a 2017 romantic comedy film directed by Richard Loncraine and written by Nick Moorcroft and Meg Leonard. The film stars Imelda Staunton, Timothy Spall, Celia Imrie, Joanna Lumley, and David Hayman, and was released on 23 February 2018 in the United Kingdom.
When ‘Lady’ Sandra Abbott (Imelda Staunton) discovers that her husband of thirty five years (John Sessions) is having an affair with her best friend (Josie Lawrence), she seeks refuge in London with her estranged, older sister Bif (Celia Imrie). Sandra is a fish out of water next to her outspoken, serial dating, free spirited sibling who lives on an inner-city council estate. But difference is just what Sandra needs and she reluctantly lets Bif drag her along to a community dance class where she meets her sister's friends, Charlie (Timothy Spall), Jackie (Joanna Lumley) and Ted (David Hayman). This colorful group of defiant and energetic third-agers start to show Sandra that retirement is a beginning, and that divorce could be her new lease of life and love.
- Imelda Staunton as Sandra
- Timothy Spall as Charlie
- Celia Imrie as Bif
- Joanna Lumley as Jackie
- David Hayman as Ted
- John Sessions as Mike
- Josie Lawrence as Pamela
- Indra Ové as Corrina
- Sian Thomas as Lilly
The film was announced at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival and started shooting on 31 October 2016, in London and Rome. The film wrapped on 16 December 2016. The film was released nationwide in the United Kingdom and Ireland on 23 February 2018. Roadside Attractions picked up the U.S distribution rights and will release the film theatrically in America on 30 March 2018. Roadside Attractions co-founders Howard Cohen and Eric d’Arbeloff said: "Finding Your Feet is one of Richard Loncraine’s best. It is brilliantly acted and completely endearing, emotional and delightfully charming and funny from start to finish. It is the kind of feel-good, character rich, second chance at life comedy that we absolutely love."
On 20 October 2017, it was announced that Finding Your Feet would open the 35th Torino Film Festival. The director Richard Loncraine, and the actors Timothy Spall and Celia Imrie presented the feature (re-titled Ricomincio da me) at the festival in Turin on 24 November 2017. TFF is the second largest film festival in Italy, following the Venice Film Festival. Finding Your Feet is distributed in Italy by CINEMA owned by veteran film distributor Valerio De Paolis.
It was announced in The Hollywood Reporter on 15 December 2017, the film will have its North American premiere at the 29th Palm Springs International Film Festival on 6 January 2018. The film was named as one of the 'best of the fest' and screened again for the public on 15 January.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a fresh approval rating of 70% based on 73 reviews, with an average rating of 5.7/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Finding Your Feet wears its heart on its sleeve, elevating undemanding material with a feel-good romance and sweet performances from its over-qualified cast." Metacritic gave the film a weighted average score of 53 out of 100, based on 15 critics, indicating "average or mixed reviews".
Australian film critic Stephen Romei of The Australian awarded the film 4 stars and said "Finding Your Feet is rightly billed as comedy-drama; yet, although it’s full of rib-tickling dialogue, it’s the drama that cuts deep". Mark Kermode reviewed the film favourably on BBC Radio 5 Live. Kevin Maher from The Times said it was "oddly adorable". Andy Lea of The Sunday Express awarded the film 4 stars and said "it’s big-hearted, touching, smartly-written and beautifully performed by a hugely talented cast". Allan Hunter said in The Daily Express that it was "a sentimental tearjerker elevated by a top-notch British cast". Linda Marric from HeyUGuys said the film was "a charming, oft-told tale of second chances in life and love, filled with fine performances." Francesca Rudkin of The New Zealand Herald compared Finding Your Feet to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and Calendar Girls and said the film was a charming, if somewhat predictable, crowd-pleaser about embracing life in your later years. Emma Simmonds from The List said "the joie de vivre of these convention-defying pensioners is ultimately irresistible." Louise Keller from Urban Cinefile said "Finding Your Feet may be predictable fare, but it has a heart of solid gold". James Mottram from Total Film said "Its love-in-later-life insights are well-worn, but with Staunton on song, Richard Loncraine's film mines genuine feeling". In another positive review, The Film Blog called Finding Your Feet "A Billy Elliot for Seniors with a meaningful slice of warmth and humour".
The film was released on 475 screens on 23 February in the United Kingdom and debuted at #4 in the chart grossing $1,290,495 in its opening weekend. The film went on to gross $7,891,508. The film performed equally as well in Australia and New Zealand, grossing $5.53 million. As of 13 July 2018, the film had grossed $16,881,861 million worldwide, making it one of the most successful independent British films of 2017 and 2018.
DVD and Blu-ray Release
The film was released on DVD and Blu-ray in the United Kingdom on 25 June 2018.
Following on from the films box office success, Finding Your Feet was the #2 film in the official U.K DVD & Blu-ray chart, behind The Greatest Showman, which narrowly took the number one spot. Best Picture Oscar winner, The Shape Of Water, debuted at #5.
- "'Finding Your Feet (2017)". The Numbers. Nash Information Services, LLC. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- Wiseman, Andreas (8 September 2016). "Timothy Spall, Joanna Lumley, Celia Imrie join Protagonist dance comedy 'Finding Your Feet'". Screen Daily. Screen International. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- Alberge, Dalya (8 September 2016). "Finding Your Feet to star Timothy Spall, Joanna Lumley and Imelda Staunton". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 6 March 2017.[permanent dead link]
- Lodderhose, Diana (15 May 2016). "Cannes: Imelda Staunton Finds Her 'Feet' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- Grater, Tom (12 December 2016). "First look: Imelda Staunton, Timothy Spall in UK rom-com". Screen Daily. Screen International. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "Finding Your Feet (2018)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- Wyche, Elbert (5 October 2017). "Roadside Attractions acquires Richard Loncraine's comedy 'Finding Your Feet'". Screen Daily. Screen International. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- "Screening Guide - Day 2 THURSDAY November 2nd". The Business of Film. Elspeth Tavares. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- Caroli, Clara (19 October 2017). ""Ricomincio da me", una prima mondiale inaugura ("I start again from myself", a world premiere opens) il 35° Torino Film Festival". la Repubblica (in Italian). Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Kilday, Gregg (15 December 2017). "Palm Springs Film Festival: Steven Spielberg's 'The Post' to Screen on Opening Night". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- Fessier, Bruce (13 January 2018). "Senegalese film wins jury award as best of Palm Springs film festival". The Desert Sun. USA Today. Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- "Finding Your Feet (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Finding Your Feet Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- Romei, Stephen (17 February 2018). "Finding Your Feet: film for grown-ups reaches straight to our hearts". The Australian. News Corp Australia. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- on YouTube
- Maher, Kevin (23 February 2018). "Film review: Finding Your Feet". The Times. Times Newspapers. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Lea, Andy (25 February 2018). "Finding Your Feet film review: A pleasant surprise". The Sunday Express. Express Newspapers. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Hunter, Allan (23 February 2018). "Finding Your Feet review: Imelda Staunton and Celia Imrie steal the show". The Daily Express. Express Newspapers. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Marric, Linda (21 February 2018). "Finding Your Feet Review". HeyUGuys. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Rudkin, Francesca (22 February 2018). "Movie Review: Finding Your Feet". The New Zealand Herald. NZME. Publishing Limited. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Simmonds, Emma (19 February 2018). "Finding Your Feet review – Imelda Staunton goes from country pile to council flat in an amiable later-life comedy". The List. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Keller, Louise (11 March 2018). "Finding Your Feet". Urban Cinefile. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- TheFilm.Blog (14 February 2018). "Finding Your Feet Review". The Film Blog. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Pond, Steve (14 January 2018). "Palm Springs Film Festival Winners Include 'Finding Your Feet,' 'Skid Row Marathon'". TheWrap. Retrieved 23 February 2018.