Findlay High School
|Findlay High School|
|1200 Broad Ave.
Findlay, Ohio, Hancock 45840
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|• Grade 9||69|
|• Grade 10||69|
|• Grade 11||69|
|• Grade 12||420|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold |
|Athletics conference||Three Rivers Athletic Conference|
|Mascot||Tommy the Trojan|
|Rival||Basketball - Lima Senior High School, Football - Fremont Ross High School, Men's Swimming - Shawnee High School (Lima, Ohio), Soccer - Perrysburg High School, Ice hockey - Bowling Green High School|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Newspaper||Blue & Gold|
|Athletic Director||Nate Weihrauch|
Findlay High School is a public high school in Findlay, Ohio. It is the only high school in the Findlay City School District, and the second largest high school in northwest Ohio. Their nickname is the Trojans. They are members of the Three Rivers Athletic Conference. They have a respected performing arts program.
- Findlay First Edition Show Choir, show choir (also known as FFE or 'First Edition').
- Voices In Perfection, the freshman show choir, also known as VIP. Every year VIP has competed at the Heritage fest, they have received a Gold rating.
- Blue & Gold, is the student newspaper. In the 2013-2014 school year, the paper received the National Student Press Association's Pacemaker award in the "Newspapers 8 pages or fewer" category at both the Fall National High School Journalism Conventions hosted by NSPA and the Journalism Education Association.
- Pantasia, the steel drum band. They have been on many cruises to perform.
- Latin Club, functions as a local chapter of both the Ohio Junior Classical League (OJCL) and National Junior Classical League (NJCL).
- Junior Statesmen of America, functions as a local chapter of the Ohio River Valley Junior Statesmen of America group. Students raise funds for the Tanga-Tanzania Rotary Club and have debates about public policy.
- Sketch Comedy Club, a group dedicated to writing and presenting comedy sketches.
- Books 'N' Brownies, a book club.
- Ben Roethlisberger, NFL Quarterback currently playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- James Purdy, Novelist, Short story-writer, Poet and Playwright
- Gavin Creel, singer/songwriter and Broadway performer (Currently the lead in The Book of Mormon on Broadway)
- Josh Huston, kicker NFL football player
- John Kidd, NFL football Kicker (Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins)
- John Poff, Former MLB player (Philadelphia Phillies, Milwaukee Brewers)
- Tot Pressnell, Former MLB player (Brooklyn Dodgers, Chicago Cubs)
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Baseball – 1971
- Boys Basketball – 1948
- Boys Cross Country – 1974
- Boys Golf – 1984
- Boys Ice hockey – 1978, 1979, 1983
- Boys Swimming and Diving – 1944
- Boys Soccer (State Runner-Up) - 1995
Note: The Boys' ice hockey team (1971) and football team (1926) each won state championships in their respective sport before they were sanctioned OHSAA sports.
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on March 15, 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Executive Board Pre-File Application". OhioJCL.org - June 2007. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on June 17, 2007. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "OJCL Constitution". OhioJCL.org - July 2002. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on July 21, 2002. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
... by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball AAA". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.