Fine Dead Girls
|Fine Dead Girls|
|Directed by||Dalibor Matanić|
|Produced by||Jozo Patljak|
|Written by||Dalibor Matanić, Mate Matišić|
|Music by||Jura Ferina, Pavle Miholjević|
|Edited by||Tomislav Pavlić|
Fine Dead Girls (Croatian: Fine mrtve djevojke), sometimes also Nice Dead Girls is a 2002 film introduced on Pula Film Festival. The film has been named one of the best Croatian movies of the last decade. It caught much attention due to its controversial, provocative themes.
Iva and Marija, who are a lesbian couple, rent an apartment in Zagreb in a building that seems to be quiet and a safe environment for their love. But as time passes by, the atmosphere in the house gets more and more aggressive.
Elder Olga is dominating the house. Other tenants include her calm husband and her grown-up son Daniel (who has a crush on Iva), the prostitute Lidija, an abused housewife, a widower keeping the corpse of his newly deceased wife, a gynecologist performing abortions in one flat of the house and an ex-soldier who regularly plays martial music at night. The characters are meant to display the madness of the post war Croatian society.
The conservative religious father of Marija is secretly tracing his daughter and pays Lidija to try to seduce Iva, which fails.
After Olga finds out that Iva and Marija are lesbians, the situation escalates to rape, murder and kidnapping.
- Olga Pakalović as Iva
- Nina Violić as Marija
- Krešimir Mikić as Daniel
- Inge Appelt as Olga the Landlady
- Ivica Vidović as Blaž
- Milan Štrljić as Inspektor
- Mirko Boman
- Jadranka Đokić as Lidija the Prostitute
- Boris Miholjević as Perić the Gynecologist
- Marina Poklepović as Marina Kostelac
- Janko Rakos
- Ilija Zovko
Awards and nominations
Pula Film Festival 2002
- Audience Award "Golden Gate Pula"
- Big Golden Arena – Jozo Patljak
- Golden Arena – Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Ivica Vidović, Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Olga Pakalović, Best Director: Dalibor Matanić
Geneva Cinéma Tout Ecran 2003
- Young Jury Award – Dalibor Matanić
Sochi International Film Festival 2003
- Special Jury Award – Dalibor Matanić (tied with At kende sandheden (2002))
- Golden Rose – Dalibor Matanić (nominated)