Location in McNairy County and the state of Tennessee.
|• Total||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|• Land||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||443 ft (135 m)|
|• Density||231.1/sq mi (89.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1284266|
According to tradition, the city received its name when the townspeople upon deciding a suitable name noticed a man's passionate hand gestures.
Finger is located at (35.356777, -88.608995).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 350 people, 122 households, and 96 families residing in the city. The population density was 231.1 people per square mile (89.5/km²). There were 134 housing units at an average density of 88.5 per square mile (34.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 49.86% White, 41.14% African American, 4.14% Native American, and 0.86% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.43% of the population.
There were 122 households out of which 43.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.7% were married couples living together, 9.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.5% were non-families. 18.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.87 and the average family size was 3.28.
In the city the population was spread out with 31.7% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 30.6% from 25 to 44, 17.4% from 45 to 64, and 12.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 93.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $29,250, and the median income for a family was $36,250. Males had a median income of $28,250 versus $11,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,654. About 19.1% of families and 21.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.2% of those under age 18 and 18.2% of those age 65 or over.
Finger is served by two newspapers; the Independent Appeal, which serves all of McNairy County and the McNairy County News.
Jim Clayton, an American entrepreneur who founded Clayton Homes and built it into the United States' largest producer and seller of manufactured housing, was born in Finger.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jun 9, 1971. "Some towns sure have funny names". The Miami News. pp. 4A. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Buford Pusser, the Man
- MTAS entry for City of Finger
- Let's Call It Finger: A History of North McNairy County and Finger, Tennessee and Its Surrounding Communities
- A High Sacred Place: A History of Mount Carmel Cemetery and Meeting House, McNairy County, Tennessee