The highlands of Delvinë and the hill of Finiq, ancient Phoinike, in the center of the picture behind the plains.
|• Mayor||Leonidha Hristo (Greek Ethnic Minority Party (M.E.G.A))|
|• Municipality||441.20 km2 (170.35 sq mi)|
|• Municipality density||27/km2 (70/sq mi)|
|• Administrative Unit||1,333|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Finiq (Albanian: Finiq or Finiqi, Greek: Φοινίκη, Finiki) is a predominantly Greek-inhabited town and municipality in Vlorë County, in southern Albania located 8 km from the Ionian Sea and 20 km north of the Greek border. It was formed at the 2015 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities Aliko, Dhivër, Finiq, Livadhja and Mesopotam, that became municipal units. The seat of the municipality is the village Dermish. The total population is 11,862 (2011 census), in a total area of 441.20 km2. The population of the former municipality at the 2011 census was 1,333.
The 2015 Albanian civil registry recorded a much higher municipal population of 39,055. The population of the municipality is predominantly ethnic Greek, while that of the town itself is entirely part of the Greek minority. The municipal unit of Finiq comprises the villages Finiq, Buronje, Çlirim, Vrion, Karahaxhë, Bregas (Vromero) and Blerimas. In antiquity, Phoenice was the political center of the Epirot Greek tribe of the Chaonians.
- Law nr. 115/2014[permanent dead link]
- Interactive map administrative territorial reform
- 2011 census results
- Kallivretakis, Leonidas (1995). "Η ελληνική κοινότητα της Αλβανίας υπό το πρίσμα της ιστορικής γεωγραφίας και δημογραφίας [The Greek Community of Albania in terms of historical geography and demography." In Nikolakopoulos, Ilias, Kouloubis Theodoros A. & Thanos M. Veremis (eds). Ο Ελληνισμός της Αλβανίας [The Greeks of Albania]. University of Athens. p. 31
- Badlands-Borderland: A History of Southern Albania/Northern Epirus by T.J. Winnifrith,ISBN 0-7156-3201-9,2003,Page 69,"... 16. Greek-speaking children in modern Finiq ..."
- Greece – Albania Neighbourhood Programme Archived March 27, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
|This article about a specific location in Vlorë County, Albania, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|