|Subdivisions||3 Stadtteile / 2 Ortsteile|
|• Mayor||Jörg Gampe (CDU)|
|• Total||76.91 km2 (29.70 sq mi)|
|Elevation||108 m (354 ft)|
|• Density||210/km2 (540/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Vehicle registration||EE, FI, LIB|
It is situated on the Schackebach, a tributary of the Kleine Elster, 28 m. W.S.W of Cottbus by rail. Pop. (2005) 18,840. The town has a Gothic church (1581), a castle, schools, cloth and cigar factories, iron-foundries, flour and saw mills and factories for machine building. The town, which is first mentioned in 1288, came into the possession of the Electorate of Saxony from 1635 and of Prussia in 1815. Popular are the "four singers from Finsterwalde" and their "singer-song".
Recent Population Development and Projections (Population Development before Census 2011 (blue line); Recent Population Development according to the Census in Germany in 2011 (blue bordered line); Official projections for 2005-2030 (yellow line); for 2014-2030 (red line); for 2017-2030 (scarlet line)
The following well known persons are from Finsterwalde:
- Hansgeorg Bätcher (1914-2003), Oberstleutnant in the Luftwaffe
- Inge Deutschkron, (born 1922), German-Israeli journalist and author
- Thomas Eisfeld, (born 1993), football player for Arsenal FC
- Catrin G Grosse (born 1964), artist and painter
- Kurt Haehling (1893-1983), Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht
- Detlef Irrgang, (born 1966), football player
- Sonja Kesselschläger, Heptathlon athlete
- Hermann Kotzschmar, (1829-1908), German-American musician, conductor and composer
- Peggy Kuznik, Football player
- Otto Ostrowski, (1883-1963), Mayor of Finsterwalde in the 1920s
- Stephanie Pohl, (born 1978), beach volleyball player
- Hans-Jürgen Riediger, football player
Buildings and Monuments
- Finsterwalde Solar Park
- Janusz-Korczak-Gymnasium, formerly Knabenschule by Max Taut (1913)
- In Finsterwalde is located a relief dedicated to Lenin in the park "Bürgerheide"
- "Bevölkerung im Land Brandenburg nach amtsfreien Gemeinden, Ämtern und Gemeinden 31. Dezember 2019". Amt für Statistik Berlin-Brandenburg (in German). July 2020.
- Detailed data sources are to be found in the Wikimedia Commons.Population Projection Brandenburg at Wikimedia Commons
- https://leninisstillaround.com/2015/07/20/in-front-of-the-playground/ checked 26.1.2020
‹See Tfd› This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: ‹See Tfd›Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Finsterwalde". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
Media related to Finsterwalde at Wikimedia Commons