Finstock railway station
|Local authority||West Oxfordshire|
|Managed by||Great Western Railway|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
|9 April 1934||Opened as Finstock Halt|
|5 May 1969||Renamed Finstock|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
Finstock railway station serves the village of Finstock and the hamlet of Fawler in Oxfordshire, England. It is some distance from Finstock itself, being situated to the north-east of Charlbury Road (the present B4022), which crosses the line on an overbridge.
The station was opened by the Great Western Railway (GWR) on 9 April 1934, originally being named "Finstock Halt" and having two platforms. Each platform was approached by an inclined path from Charlbury Road, and each had a corrugated iron shelter with windows only in the end walls.
On 5 May 1969 it was renamed "Finstock". The line was singled on 29 November 1971, the former up line now carrying traffic in both directions, and the redundant down platform was removed. By September 1980 the former GWR waiting shelter had been replaced by a simple shelter open on three sides. On 9 March 1987 the former up platform was taken out of use and replaced by one built over the site of the former down line.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Charlbury||Great Western Railway
- Stretton, John (2006). Oxfordshire; A Second Selection. British Railways Past and Present. 55. Kettering: Past & Present Publishing Ltd. p. 34. ISBN 978-1-85895-203-1.
- Marshall, Geoff. "Least Used Stations". Geofftech.co.uk. Archived from the original on 11 April 2019.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 97. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Robertson, Kevin (1990). Great Western Railway Halts. 1. Pinner: Irwell Press. ISBN 1-871608-17-1.
- Mitchell & Smith 2003, figs. 48–51
- Mitchell & Smith 2003, Historical background; figs. 52–53
- Mitchell & Smith 2003, fig. 53
- Mitchell, Victor E.; Smith, Keith (27 September 2003). Oxford to Moreton-in-Marsh. Western Main Lines. Midhurst: Middleton Press. ISBN 1-904474-15-2.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Finstock - Least Used Station in Oxfordshire 2018 YouTube video by Geoff Marshall about the station.
|This article on a railway station in South East England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|