Finstock railway station
|Local authority||West Oxfordshire|
|Managed by||Great Western Railway|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
|9 April 1934||Opened as Finstock Halt|
|5 May 1969||Renamed Finstock|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Finstock from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Finstock railway station serves the village of Finstock and the hamlet of Fawler in Oxfordshire, England. It is some distance from Finstock itself, being situated to the north-east of Charlbury Road (the present B4022), which crosses the line on an overbridge.
The station and all trains serving it are operated by Great Western Railway.
The station was opened by the Great Western Railway (GWR) on 9 April 1934, originally being named "Finstock Halt" and having two platforms. Each platform was approached by an inclined path from Charlbury Road, and each had a corrugated iron shelter with windows only in the end walls.
On 5 May 1969 it was renamed "Finstock". The line was singled on 29 November 1971, the former up line now carrying traffic in both directions, and the redundant down platform was removed. By September 1980 the former GWR waiting shelter had been replaced by a simple shelter open on three sides. On 9 March 1987 the former up platform was taken out of use and replaced by one built over the site of the former down line.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Charlbury||Great Western Railway
- Stretton, John (2006). Oxfordshire; A Second Selection. British Railways Past and Present. 55. Kettering: Past & Present Publishing Ltd. p. 34. ISBN 978-1-85895-203-1.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 97. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Robertson, Kevin (1990). Great Western Railway Halts. 1. Pinner: Irwell Press. ISBN 1-871608-17-1.
- Mitchell, Victor E.; Smith, Keith (27 September 2003). Oxford to Moreton-in-Marsh. Western Main Lines. Midhurst: Middleton Press. figs. 48–51. ISBN 1-904474-15-2.
- Mitchell & Smith 2003, Historical background; figs. 52–53
- Mitchell & Smith 2003, fig. 53
|This article on a railway station in South East England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|