Fiorente with jockey Damien Oliver prior to the running of the 2013 Melbourne Cup
|Foaled||26 February 2008|
A T Roberts et al
|Trainer||Sir Michael Stoute
|Princess of Wales's Stakes (2012)
Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes (2013)
Melbourne Cup (2013)
St George Stakes (2014)
Australian Cup (2014)
|Last updated on 5 November 2013|
Fiorente (foaled 2008) is a Thoroughbred racehorse bred in Ireland and trained in Australia. When racing in Europe, he showed high-class form, winning the Princess of Wales's Stakes in 2012. He had greater success when campaigned in Australia, winning the Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes and the Melbourne Cup in 2013. In 2014 he won the St George Stakes and the Australian Cup.
Fiorente is a brown horse bred in Ireland by the County Meath-based Ballymacoll Stud. He was sired by Monsun, who won the Europa Preis twice and became a successful breeding stallion, siring Shirocco, Manduro, Estimate and Stacelita.
Fiorente was originally trained by Sir Michael Stoute at Newmarket, Suffolk. Unraced as a two-year-old, he ran four times as a three-year-old in 2011. He won a maiden race at Newbury Racecourse and finished second in both the Group Two King Edward VII Stakes (beaten five lengths by Nathaniel) and the Group Three Gordon Stakes.
In the autumn of 2012 Fiorente was transferred to Australia to be trained by Gai Waterhouse.
In the 2013 Spring carnival he won the Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes and then ran third behind Shamus Award in the 2013 Cox Plate. He followed this by winning the 2013 Melbourne Cup, ridden by Damien Oliver.
On 8 March, Fiorente won the Australian Cup, beating Green Moon and Shamus Award at weight-for-age. Fiorente then finished unplaced behind the New Zealand mare Silent Achiever in the Ranvet Stakes and third behind the same horse in The BMW. On 7 April it was announced that Fiorente had sustained a serious tendon injury and would be retired from racing.
Desert Bloom (IRE)
|Desert Beauty (IRE)
|Grecian Sea (Family 5-h)|
- Fiorente is inbred 4 x 4 to the stallion Danzig, meaning that Danzig appears twice in the fourth generation of his pedigree.
- "Monsun". Racing Post. 15 February 2012. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Sir Michael Stoute claims Princess of Wales with Fiorente". BBC News. 12 July 2012. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- Brodie, Will (5 November 2013). "Gai Waterhouse's Fiorente wins the 2013 Melbourne Cup". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Fiorente Lands Cup for Waterhouse". Sporting Life. 5 November 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Fiorente wins Cup from Red Cadeaux and Athos". Racing Post. 5 November 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
|This article about a racehorse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|