Fir Ol nEchmacht
Fir Ol nEchmacht was the name of a group or race of people living in pre-historic Ireland. The name may be translated as "men (Fir) of the race/people (Ol, possibly Dal?) of Echmacht" (Echmacht being the given name of the people). Some scholars believe they are connected to, or the same as, the Nagnatae tribe, mentioned in Ptolemy's 2nd century AD work Geography.
- T. F. O'Rahilly (1946). Early Irish History and Mythology. Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies. pp. 2, 11–12.
- Foras Feasa Eirann, Geoffrey Keating, 1636.
- Leabhar Mor nGenealach, Dubhaltach MacFhirbhisigh, 1649–1666.
- Ogyia, Ruaidhri O Flaithbheartaigh, 1684.
- The History of Mayo, T.H.Knox, 1908.