|Single by Sean Kingston|
|from the album Tomorrow|
|Released||April 24, 2009|
|Sean Kingston singles chronology|
"Fire Burning" is a song by Jamaican-American singer-songwriter Sean Kingston. It is released as the lead single from his second studio album Tomorrow. Unlike many of his previous singles, which are all produced by J.R. Rotem, the song is produced by RedOne. The song was used for the opening number of the Miss Universe 2009 live at the Atlantis Paradise Island, Nassau, Bahamas.
"Fire Burning" is written by Nadir Khayat, Bilal Hajji, and Kisean Anderson. The song's instrumentation consists of a heavy synthesizers and a variety of percussive sounds. The song is set in common time with a moderate tempo of 120 beats per minute and is written in the key of B♭ minor. It begins with an energetic clarion call to the dance floor followed by modern dance beat.
Kingston had released the song on his MySpace webpage to promote his song. The song was released to radio stations and for digital download April 24, 2009. To date the song has been played more than 13 million times on his MySpace page. As of July 22, 2012, the song has sold over 3 million downloads. Sean Kingston performed the song for the first time live at the Teen Choice Awards 2009.
The music video premiered on MTV on June 15, 2009. Rick Ross makes a cameo appearance in the video along with fellow island singer Iyaz. The video was directed by Gil Green. The video also shows Kingston's Audi R8 in the video.
- "Fire Burning" (Remix) (featuring Pitbull)
- "Fire Burning" (Remix) (featuring Adrian Banton & Pitbull)
- "Fire Burning" (Jody den Broeder Remix)
- "Fire Burning" (Jody den Broeder Radio Edit)
- "Fire Burning" (Dave Audé Club Mix)
- "Fire Burning" (Dave Audé Radio Mix)
- 103.5 KTU replaced the opening "Shorty fire burning" in the opening, to "KTU is burning".
Michael Menachem of Billboard reviewed the song as "the most danceable single yet" and commented on the fast tempo and Kingston's well-projected vocal "that allows producer RedOne to blend the infectious hook with heavy synthesizers and a variety of percussive sounds that made Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" so striking". He also comments that "the chorus is repetitive, it sounds just like 'Unstoppable' by Kat Deluna, but this song is often what makes for a sizzling club hit". Alex Fletcher of Digital Spy said that 'Fire Burning' has all the makings of a classic summer anthem with its swathes of GaGa-esque synths, infectious chorus hook and fuzzy bassline but he wasn't in favor of Kingston's reggae-tinged vocals.
Formats and track listings
- Digital download
- CD-Single (Germany)
- "Fire Burning" – 4:00
- "War" – 2:59
"Fire Burning" debuted at #29 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it Kingston's highest debut on the chart. Since then it has entered the top ten peaking at #5. It also peaked at number two on the Canadian Hot 100 for eight consecutive weeks.It became a #1 Record in South Africa and holding off strong competition from Lady Gaga's "LoveGame". Prior to this "Fire Burning" was ranked 36th on South Africa's Year-End-Chart.
Charts and certifications
- "Fire Burning: Digital Sheet music". Musicnotes.com. Alfred Publishing Company. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Week Ending July 22, 2012. Songs: Call Me, Already!". yahoo.com. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Sean Kingston: 'Fire Burning'". digitalspy.com. 7 August 2009. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Australia Singes Top 50". Australian Recording Industry Association. acharts.us. September 13, 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-07. Retrieved 2012-03-16.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Suomen virallinen lista Archived 2012-09-19 at Archive.today
- New Zealand Singles Chart Archived December 4, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-05-18. Retrieved 2015-02-05.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Turkey Top 20 Chart". Billboard Turkiye. Billboard. July 13, 2009. Archived from the original on March 5, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-13.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Dance Mix/Show Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Latin Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Sean Kingston Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard.
- "Canadian Hot 100 Year-End 2009". Billboard. 2009. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- "Éves összesített listák - MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 (súlyozott)". Mahasz. Mahasz.
- "Japan Hot 100 – Year-End 2009". Billboard. Retrieved August 8, 2018.
- "Charts Plus Year end 2009" (PDF). Charts Plus. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Year End Charts - Year-end songs - The Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved November 9, 2010.
- "Year End Charts - Dance club songs 2009". Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "British single certifications – Sean Kingston – Fire Burning". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Fire Burning in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Sean Kingston – Fire Burning". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.