Fire Services Act 1947
|Long title||An Act to make further provision for fire services in Great Britain; to transfer fire-fighting functions from the National Fire Service to fire brigades maintained by the councils of counties and county boroughs; to provide for the combination of areas for fire service purposes; to make further provision for pensions and other awards in respect of persons employed in connection with the provision of fire services; and for purposes connected with the matters aforesaid.|
|Citation||1947 c. 41
(10 & 11. Geo. 6.)
|Royal assent||31 July 1947|
|Amended by||Fire (Scotland) Act 2005
|Repealed by||Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004
England and Wales only
|Text of statute as originally enacted|
|Revised text of statute as amended|
The Fire Services Act 1947 was an Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom that reorganised fire services in the United Kingdom. It disbanded the National Fire Service and returned the responsibility for running fire services to local authorities.
General Arrangement of the Act
- ss. 1 to 3 Provision of fire services
- ss. 4 to 12 Fire Authorities
- ss.13 to 16 Supply of water for fire-fighting
- ss.17 to 25 Administrative provisions
- ss.26 to 28 Pensions etc.
- ss.29 to 39 Miscellaneous and General
- First to Sixth Schedules
Extent and Repeals
While the original Act did not contain an "Extent" section, the Preamble and text addressed Great Britain (and parts thereof) only.
England and Wales
The Fire Services Act 1947 was entirely repealed in England and Wales by the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004, now the primary legislation for England and Wales.
The Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004 extended only to England and Wales, thus leaving the Fire Services Act 1947 in force in Scotland. Most of the 1947 Act was later repealed by the Fire (Scotland) Act 2005, which left  ss. 26 to 27A (concerning the Firemen's Pension Scheme) still in force in Scotland.
The Act does not extend to Northern Ireland.
- Fire services in Scotland
- Fire service in the UK
- History of fire safety legislation in the United Kingdom
- History of fire brigades in the United Kingdom
- Text of the amending legislation- Schedule 4 -Repeals; Fire (Scotland) Act 2005 as in force today (including any amendments) within the United Kingdom, from legislation.gov.uk