Fire on the Mountain (song)
|"Fire on the Mountain"|
|Song by the Grateful Dead from the album Shakedown Street|
|Released||November 15, 1978|
|Shakedown Street track listing|
"Fire on the Mountain" is a song by the Grateful Dead. It was written by lyricist Robert Hunter and composed by drummer Mickey Hart. It was commercially released on the album Shakedown Street in November 1978. An earlier instrumental version titled "Happiness is Drumming" appeared in 1976 on Mickey Hart's album Diga with the Diga Rhythm Band. The song should not be confused with the Marshall Tucker Band single of the same name.
Prior to the Dead recording, the song premiered at a concert on March 18, 1977 in San Francisco. It would often be paired with "Scarlet Begonias" during live performances, producing lengthy musical excursions. The paired songs were soon nicknamed "Scarlet Fire". One notable performance of the paired "Scarlet Begonias"/"Fire On The Mountain", at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, on May 8, 1977, lasted for a total of 25 minutes and 50 seconds.
"Fire on the Mountain" was performed in concert by the Grateful Dead 253 times between 1977 and 1995. It appears on numerous Grateful Dead albums. An outtake of the song appeared as a bonus track on the 2004 reissue of Terrapin Station.
This song is also featured as downloadable content for the video game Rock Band.
- Leftover Salmon parodied the song with a version called "Pasta On the Mountain", which appeared on their 1993 release Bridges to Bert.
- In 2008, Keller Williams released a bluegrass version of the song on the album Rex (Live at the Fillmore).
- Rock band Ween performed the song live on a few rare occasions.
- Dodd, David. "The Annotated "Fire on the Mountain"". The Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics. Retrieved 2007-01-31. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "aglfire" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Scott, John W.; Dolgushkin, Mike; Nixon, Stu (1999). DeadBase XI: The Complete Guide to Grateful Dead Song Lists. Cornish, New Hampshire: DeadBase. p. 102. ISBN 1-877657-22-0.
- "Fire on the Mountain" on the Grateful Dead Family Discography
- Keller Williams album for REX charity, news.jamradio.org, May 7, 2008, Retrieved May 15, 2008.