Fireflies and Songs
|Fireflies and Songs|
|Studio album by|
|Released||November 17, 2009|
|Genre||Contemporary Christian music, acoustic, folk|
|Sara Groves chronology|
Fireflies and Songs is the sixth studio album and ninth overall album from Christian singer and songwriter Sara Groves, and it released on November 17, 2009 by Fair Trade, Columbia Records and Integrity Music. The producer on the album is Charlie Peacock. This release became critically acclaimed and commercially successful.
|Alpha Omega News||B+|
|Christian Broadcasting Network|||
|Christian Music Review||95%|
|Jesus Freak Hideout|||
|Louder Than the Music|||
|The Phantom Tollbooth|||
Fireflies and Songs garnered critical acclaim from music critics. At Christianity Today, Andrew Greer rated the album five stars, evoking that the release "probes yet deeper, and even more beautifully, into the fears, doubts, and joys of the human soul." Andree Farias of Allmusic rated the album three-and-a-half stars, highlighting that "Groves' big break may still be farther than ever before, but it's doubtful she cares: Fireflies and Songs is proof she is in this for the long haul." At Cross Rhythms, Peter Timmis rated the album ten out of ten squares, and felt that "the listener is left wanting more."
Kevin Davis of Christian Music Review gave the album a 95-percent, calling it an "excellent work" on which "Sara’s excellent songwriting and captivating piano-based singer-songwriter style have made her my favorite female artist in all of Christian music." At Jesus Freak Hideout, Laura Nunnery Love rated the album four stars, affirming that the release "is an excellent addition to the Sara Groves catalogue." Jen Rose also of Jesus Freak Hideout rated the album four stars, calling the album "some of her most poetic, vulnerable, and transparent music to date." At The Phantom Tollbooth, Bert Saraco rated the album four-and-a-half tocks, felling that her music "stings like a bee." Brian A. Smith also of The Phantom Tollbooth rated the album four-and-a-half tocks, saying that he's "never been displeased with a Groves album, but some stand out more than others", and this "is one of them."
At Christian Broadcasting Network, Monique Derr rated the album three-and-a-half spins, noting how the listener will find "Smooth vocals, comforting words, and strong instrumentation" on the album, and it contains Groves' "rich melodies and silky tone quality make for a relaxing, inspiring, and positive listening experience." Ken Wiegman of Alpha Omega News graded the album a B+, commenting that "The new album is peaceful and a joy to listen to and the personal approach is a welcomed new tool for an already superior artist such as Sara Groves." However, Louder Than the Music' Suzanne Physick rated the album two stars, criticizing that "It's hard to differentiate between most of the songs and the outcome is purely an album of pleasant background music with the occasional lyrical high."
For the Billboard charting week of December 5, 2009, Fireflies and Songs was the No. 13 most sold album in the Christian music market via the Christian Albums position, and it was the No. 156 Top Current Album, which are just the new albums out minus the catalog titles in The 200.
For the Billboard charting week of May 29, 2010, the album was the No. 119 most sold album in the entirety of the United States via The Billboard 200 placement, and it was the No. 5 most sold album in the Christian music market segment via the Christian Albums position. In addition, the album was the No. 7 folk album sold by the Folk Albums chart, and it was the No. 47 most sold album in the rock albums category via the Top Rock Albums charting. It was the No. 116 Top Current Album.
|1.||"Fireflies and Songs"||Sara Groves||3:24|
|2.||"From This One Place"||Groves||3:40|
|3.||"Different Kinds of Happy"||Groves||4:16|
|4.||"Twice as Good"||Groves, Christa Wells||3:38|
|7.||"Setting Up the Pins"||Groves||2:43|
|9.||"Like a Lake"||Groves||4:38|
|10.||"Eyes Wide Open"||Groves||3:30|
|11.||"Joy Is in Our Hearts"||Groves||3:29|
- Bruce Bouton - lap steel guitar
- David Davidson - strings
- Scott Denté - acoustic guitar
- Brian Eichenberger - backing vocals
- Aaron Fabbrini]] - bass
- Ben Gowell - acoustic guitar, electric guitar
- Buddy Greene - harmonica
- Andy Leftwich - mandolin
- Jerry McPherson - guitar
- Zach Miller - drums
- Charlie Peacock - piano, trumpet, vibraphone
- Matthew Perryman Jones - backing vocals
- Matt Slocum - strings
- Jeff Taylor - accordion
- Sara Groves - vocals, piano
|Chart (2009)||Peak position|
|US Christian Albums (Billboard)||13|
|Chart (2010)||Peak position|
|US Billboard 200||119|
|US Christian Albums (Billboard)||5|
|US Folk Albums (Billboard)||7|
|US Top Rock Albums (Billboard)||47|
- Farias, Andree (November 17, 2009). "Fireflies and Songs - Sara Groves". Allmusic. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Wiegman, Ken (December 10, 2009). "Sara Groves - Fireflies and Songs". Alpha Omega News. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Derr, Monique (November 17, 2009). "Fireflies and Songs by Sara Groves". Christian Broadcasting Network. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Davis, Kevin (November 10, 2009). "Sara Groves [Fireflies and Songs]". Christian Music Review. New Release Tuesday. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Greer, Andrew (November 17, 2009). "Sara Groves: Fireflies and Songs". Christianity Today. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Timmis, Peter (December 25, 2009). "Review: Fireflies and Songs - Sara Groves". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Nunnery Love, Laura (November 5, 2009). "Sara Groves, "Fireflies and Songs" Review". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Rose, Jen (November 5, 2009). "Sara Groves, "Fireflies and Songs" Review: Second Staff Opinion". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Physick, Suzanne (December 14, 2009). "Reviews - Sara Groves - Fireflies and Songs". Louder Than the Music. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Saraco, Bert (November 30, 2009). "Groves, Sara - Fireflies and Songs (Bert Saraco)". The Phantom Tollbooth. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Smith, Brian A. (December 31, 2009). "Groves, Sara - Fireflies and Songs (Brian A. Smith)". The Phantom Tollbooth. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Billboard (May 29, 2010). "Christian Albums: May 29, 2010". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Billboard (May 29, 2010). "Folk Albums: May 29, 2010". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "Sara Groves Chart History (Christian Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "Sara Groves Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "Sara Groves Chart History (Top Americana/Folk Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "Sara Groves Chart History (Top Rock Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved January 21, 2014.