|Service type||Coach operator|
|Fleet||27 (July 2022)|
Firefly Express is an Australian interstate coach operator.
Firefly Express' origins can be traced back to 1966 when Frank Bono and George Sita purchased route 406 Footscray to East Keilor from Barnes Buslines. In 1968 Bono took full control. In August 1974 route 504 Moonee Ponds to Clifton Hill was purchased, being sold in December 1975.
In November 1986 Firefly commenced operating an overnight Melbourne to Sydney service. In July 1987 route 406 was sold to Westrans and the Melbourne charter licences of VIP Express purchased.
In December 1987 a daylight service was introduced between Melbourne and Sydney but did not become a permanent feature. In September 1988 an overnight Melbourne to Adelaide service commenced. In 2008, Firely entered a codeshare agreement with Greyhound Australia for the Adelaide service.
Firefly commenced interstate operations using Austral Tourmaster and later HD1 coaches. In the 1990s it purchased double-deck Denning Landseer coaches, some second-hand. Since 1998 it has purchased Scanias with Coach Design and Coach Concepts bodywork. As at July 2022, the fleet consisted of 27 vehicles.
- Recent Changes in Melbourne Fleetline issue 9 April 1976 page 14
- Melbourne Metropolitan Bus Operators and Fleet Listings. Melbourne: Bus & Coach Society of Victoria. 1991. p. 17.
- Ownership changes Transit Australia July 1987 page 134
- Firefly Fleetline November 1990 page 171
- Victorian Buses in the Eighties Australian Bus Panorama issue 6/8 May 1991 page 14
- Victorian Buses in the Eighties Australian Bus Panorama 7/1 August 1991 page 3
- Firefly Wins the Famly Way Australasian Bus & Coach September 1995 pages 38/39
- Late News Items Australian Bus Panorama issue 24/4 December 2008 page 58
- Firefly Coaches Australian Bus Panorama issue 36/6 May 2021 page 42
- Lighting up the Interstate Night Truck & Bus Transportation December 1988 pages 96-100
- Firefly Express Archived 17 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine Australian Bus Fleet Lists
Media related to Firefly Express at Wikimedia Commons