Firefly Music Festival
|Firefly Music Festival|
|Dates||June 15–18, 2017|
|Location(s)||The Woodlands of Dover International Speedway
Firefly Music Festival is a music festival produced by Red Frog Events alongside Goldenvoice, that was first held on July 20–22, 2012, in Dover, Delaware. The festival takes place in The Woodlands of Dover International Speedway, an 105-acre festival ground, over the span of four days. Many nationally known musical acts performed at the festival, with over 100 performances held over the course of the festival in 2016. The festival is produced by Red Frog Events with Goldenvoice, with the hopes of having "an open-air festival on the East Coast with plenty of outdoor camping". The festival includes seven stages; The Porch Stage, The Lawn Stage, The Backyard Stage, the Treehouse, The Coffee House, The Pavilion and The Firefly Stage. Firefly offers three different passes options; general admission, VIP, and Super VIP.
The headliners for the 2012 festival included Jack White, The Killers, and The Black Keys. Each performer played as the final act for a separate night of the festival on The Firefly Stage, the largest stage at the event. Other notable acts included Death Cab for Cutie, John Legend, Bassnectar, Modest Mouse, and The Flaming Lips. Although Passion Pit was listed as a musical act for 2012, their performance was cancelled due to lead singer Michael Angelakos seeking ongoing treatment for bipolar disorder. Yeasayer was chosen as the replacement for Passion Pit's performance.
The 2012 schedule listed in order from latest performance in the day to earliest:
- Friday, July 20
- Saturday, July 21
- The Killers, Lupe Fiasco, Yeasayer, Trampled by Turtles, Modest Mouse, CAKE, Chiddy Bang, Young the Giant, Graffiti6, Grouplove, The Knocks, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Cults, Poliça, Charles Bradley and His Extraordinaries, The Felice Brothers, Kids These Days, Ra Ra Riot, Imagine Dragons, Moon Taxi
- Sunday, July 22
The headliners for the 2013 festival included Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Other notable acts included Vampire Weekend, Foster the People, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Avett Brothers, Calvin Harris, and Passion Pit.
Imagine Dragons was scheduled to be the only returning musical act between the 2012 and 2013 Firefly Music Festival. However, due to a scheduling conflict they had to cancel their performance and were replaced by Jim James. The Lumineers were also scheduled to perform, but cancelled for medical reasons. Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite replaced them in the lineup.
The 2013 schedule (artists listed from earliest to latest set times):
- Friday, June 21
- Firefly Main Stage: The Neighbourhood, Django Django, Dr. Dog, The Avett Brothers, Red Hot Chili Peppers
- The Lawn: Leagues, Wild Belle, Atlas Genius, Ellie Goulding, Calvin Harris
- The Backyard: JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound, Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds, Twenty One Pilots, The Joy Formidable, Public Enemy, Grizzly Bear, Krewella
- The Porch: The Spinto Band, Conner Youngblood, Action Bronson, Foxygen, Dragonette, Schoolboy Q, Dan Deacon
- Saturday, June 22
- Firefly Main Stage: Japandroids, Jim James, Alabama Shakes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- The Lawn: Kopecky Family Band, ZZ Ward, Kendrick Lamar, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, MGMT
- The Backyard: Young Empires, Blondfire, He's My Brother She's My Sister, A Silent Film, Chvrches, Youngblood Hawke, Azealia Banks, Big Gigantic
- The Porch: Imaginary Cities, Hey Marseilles, St. Lucia, Lord Huron, Crystal Fighters, Krewella, The White Panda
- Sunday, June 23
- Firefly Main Stage: The Chevin, LP, Ben Harper, Passion Pit, Foster the People
- The Lawn: Selah Sue, Haim, Matt & Kim, Dispatch, Vampire Weekend
- The Backyard: Delta Rae, The Apache Relay, The Last Bison, Kishi Bashi, Capital Cities, The Walkmen, Zedd
- The Porch: The Last Royals, Trails and Ways, Wheeler Brothers, Robert DeLong, Toro y Moi, Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra
On January 14, 2014 the lineup for 2014 was announced via the official Firefly YouTube channel. The headliners for 2014 included Outkast, Foo Fighters, and Jack Johnson with other notable acts Imagine Dragons, Beck, The Lumineers, Pretty Lights, Arctic Monkeys, Weezer and Broken Bells. Girl Talk, Twenty One Pilots, and Imagine Dragons returned for their second year performing at the festival. The 2014 schedule (artists listed from earliest to latest set times):
- Thursday, June 19
- "The Backyard:" Andrew Belle, Kodaline, Phosphorescent, Local Natives
- "The Lawn:" Parade of Lights, Courtney Barnett, Amos Lee
- "The Forest:" John & Jacob, Aer, Gregory Alan Isakov, San Fermin, Rac
- Friday, June 20
- "Firefly Main Stage:" Kongos, Bleachers, Iron and Wine, Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters
- "The Backyard:" Hunter Hunted, Ghost Beach, Sky Ferreira, Portugal the Man, Young the Giant, Girl Talk
- "The Lawn:" Basic Vacation, New Politics, American Authors, Chance the Rapper, Band of Horses
- "The Porch:" The Secret Sisters, Vic Mensa, The Mowglis, Airborne Toxic Event, A-Trak, White Denim, Cash Cash
- "The Forest:" Magic Man, Bronze Radio Return, Shakey Graves, The Jezabels, Son Lux
- "The Coffee House:" Lily Mae, Cruiser, Gregory Alan Isakov, High Highs, American Authors, Iron and Wine
- "The Big Break:" Mean Lady, Saints of Valory, Step Rockets, Christian Porter
- Saturday, June 21
- "Firefly Main Stage:" Twenty One Pilots, Third Eye Blind, Grouplove, Imagine Dragons, Outkast
- "The Backyard:" Bad Things, Smallpools, MS MR, Cage the Elephant, Tegan and Sara, Pretty Lights
- "The Lawn:" The Ceremonies, Geographer, Lucius, Kaiser Chiefs, Tune-Yards, Beck
- "The Porch:" Unlikely Candidates, Royal Teeth, Goldroom, Walk Off the Earth, Sleigh Bells, The White Panda
- "The Forest:" The Weeks, The Wild Feathers, Wild Child, Boy & Bear, Johnnyswim, X Ambassadors
- "The Coffee House:" Wheeland Brothers, Speak, The Colourist, The Wild Feathers, Smallpools, Grouplove
- "The Big Break:" New Sweden, Holychild, Kite String Tangle, Sleeper Agent, Stop Light Observations
- Sunday, June 22
- "Firefly Main Stage:" Dan Croll, City and Colour, Weezer, The Lumineers, Jack Johnson
- "The Backyard:" Nonono, Jake Bugg, Ziggy Marley, Phantogram, Big Gigantic
- "The Lawn:" Vance Joy, The Colourist, A Great Big World, Washed Out, Broken Bells, Childish Gambino
- "The Porch:" Little Comets, Wild Cub, G-Eazy, Martin Garrix
- "The Forest:" Misterwives, Haerts, Sir Sly, Cherub
- "The Coffee House:" Casey Alvarez, Kawehi, Caroline Glaser, Misterwives, Jake Bugg
- "The Big Break:" The Griswolds, Gemini Club, Little Daylight, Breach the Summit
On February 17, 2015 the 2015 lineup was announced via the official Firefly YouTube channel. The headliners for 2015 included Paul McCartney, Kings Of Leon and The Killers. The schedule of performances and locations were released on a date closer to the festival. Due to a severe thunderstorm on Saturday night of the 2015 festival, Kings of Leon had to cancel their performance and the festival grounds were temporarily evacuated.
The full alphabetical 2015 lineup was as follows:
The 2016 lineup was released on November 18, 2015. Headliners included Mumford and Sons, Kings of Leon, Florence and the Machine, and deadmau5. Two Door Cinema Club served as the Thursday night headliner.
The official alphabetical 2016 lineup was as follows:
The official alphabetized 2017 lineup was as follows:
In addition to musical acts, The Firefly Music Festival offers other activities. An arcade tent is set up, which houses arcade and video games. Attendees can design their own pair of Toms Shoes and have an artist paint the design. With the purchase of the custom pair of shoes, an additional pair of Toms is sent to a child in need, through the Toms One For One Movement program. The Hammock Hangout is a shaded area in which you can sit or lay down in a hammock. The Pathway is a wooded path that connects the two "halves" of the festival. Each year, The Pathway has a theme, and as of the 2017 festival, fans get to choose what that happens to be.
The Thicket is another attraction at Firefly, where attendees can participate in a silent rave. For everyone with headphones on, however; the Thicket music filled, with DJs playing music that can only be heard through the headphones. The Coffee House offers a multiple cafe-style vendors, and music performances throughout the day.
In its first year, Firefly featured hot air balloon rides over The Woodlands. The rides are no longer offered to Festival goers, but the hot air balloon remains as an iconic symbol of Firefly.
Firefly partners with Delaware's Dogfish Head Brewery to have The Brewery, an onsite beer bar. The bar serves Firefly Ale, a microbrew Dogfish Head Pale Ale makes specifically for the festival.
Firefly also offers various charging stations, where attendees can charge electronic devices.
Starting in February 2015, there is also an annual unofficial weekend long fan get together in Dewey Beach, Delaware. Called Winterfly, the event is un-associated with Red Frog Events, but features live music, and group activities such as a private tour of the Dogfishhead Brewery and charitable auctions that benefit local music programs.
A number of lodging options exist at the festival. Attendees of the festival can choose to camp in a tent or RV in what Firefly calls The Grove. Additionally, attendees can choose "glamping", a portmanteau of the words "glamorous" and "camping". Some glamping options provide private, air-conditioned tents, beds with sheets, access to private and air-conditioned showers and bathrooms, access to a private food lounge, as well as food and snack vouchers for inside the festival.
"In its debut year, Firefly was surprisingly devoid of on-site hiccups. Organized by Red Frog Events...Firefly rolled on with the precision of an event many years in the making." - Billboard
"It’s about damn time the East Coast had a great music festival." - Emily Sheetz for MusicUnderFire
"I think this festival is special because of the combination of the forest setting, the great lineup, and the overall vibe of the festival. It was a really great place to see music with all of the new friends you made." - TheFestivalGuy.com
"Save for some first-year jitters, the inaugural edition of Firefly was a highly promising one." - Ben Kaye for Consequence of Sound
Firefly Music Festival promotes itself as a sustainable and environmentally friendly festival, with its program Sustainable Beats. A part of this program includes carbon footprint offsetting with ticket purchases. Attendees of the festival have the option of donating to the carbon footprint offsetting program when purchasing their tickets online, which allows each attendee to offset 440 pounds of carbon dioxide. The festival matches each of these donations up until the festival is completely carbon neutral. In 2012, this program offset over 1.5 million pounds of carbon dioxide. Additionally, water refill stations are found throughout The Woodlands, reusable water bottles are sold at the concert and encouraged to concert attendees, and the festival participates in a waste diversion program to reduce the amount of trash from the festival that ends up in a landfill.
Firefly and Red Frog Events have partnered with St. Jude's Music Gives to St. Jude Kids program to "enlist artists large and small, emerging and established, to join St. Jude in the fight against childhood cancer." This program includes having a tent for donations at the event, having meet-and-greet events with various performers at the concert, and other ways of fundraising for the program. In 2012, Firefly attendees raised over $4.6 million for Music Gives to St. Jude Kids. In addition, Firefly partners with Bud Light, Jack Daniel's, Tito's Vodka, StubHub, AXS TV, Cupcake Vineyards, Alex and Ani, Fye, Dogfish Head, Camelback, El Jimador, and Garnier. As of 2015, Sirius XM's Alt Nation has broadcast multiple Firefly performances throughout the festival.
- "2016 Lineup". Red Frog Events.
- MCKINLEY, James. "A New Pop Music Festival in Delaware". The New York Times Company. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Festival Map". Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- Mehalick, Mike. "Firefly Music Festival Unveils 2013 Lineup Headlined By Tom Petty, Red Hot Chili Peppers". Speak Into My Good Eye. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Mehalick, Mike. "The Postal Service Playing Firefly Music Festival 2013?". Speak Into My Good Eye. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "News & Updates". Red Frog Events.
- "Log In or Sign Up to View". www.facebook.com.
- "Attractions". Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Comer, M. Tye. "Firefly 2012: Highlights From Delaware's First Major Music Fest". Billboard. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- Sheetz, Emily. "Firefly Music Festival 2012: Polica, The Knocks, Yeasayer, The Killers". MusicUnderFire. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- "2012 Firefly Music Festival Review". Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- Kaye, Ben. "Festival Review: CoS at Firefly 2012". CONSEQUENCE OF SOUND. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- "Green". Red Frog Events. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "St. Jude". Red Frog Events. Retrieved 20 March 2013.