Fireworks (Drake song)
|Song by Drake featuring Alicia Keys|
|from the album Thank Me Later|
|Released||May 26, 2010|
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B|
|Songwriter(s)||Aubrey Graham, Noah Shebib, Matthew Samuels, Christian Kalla, Alicia Cook|
|Producer(s)||Noah "40" Shebib, Boi-1da (co), Crada(co)|
|Thank Me Later track listing|
"Fireworks" is a song by Canadian recording artist Drake from his debut album Thank Me Later. The song features singer Alicia Keys, who previously worked with Drake on the single "Un-Thinkable (I'm Ready)". Originally, it was supposed to be the fourth single, but it was changed to Fancy.
Fireworks was one of the most anticipated songs off Thank Me Later. It was originally thought that Kings of Leon was on the chorus, however, due to lack of sample clearance, it was announced at a concert that Alicia Keys would sing the chorus.
Before his show at Slippery Rock University in Pennsylvania on Monday night April 5, 2010, Drizzy explained to MTV News why he was letting the crowd sample the song. "The song itself is the first song on the album; I think it's the biggest indicator of what the album is gonna be like," he said. "That's why I picked that song to go first, and that's why I wrote the first verse like that. It's really where I am in my life right now. I know they're looking forward to the album, so I want them to get a feel of how the story starts off." "Fireworks" starts with the actual sound of fireworks in the background. From there, Drizzy begins talking about his life, joking that his 15 minutes of fame started about an hour ago. "It truly is a story," he added of the album. "At no point in the album does it fall off and become about some songs I slapped together. It's all a story from beginning to end. Just like So Far Gone was. It's that time."
Drake has performed the song while on his recent tour and also performed the first verse of "Fireworks" at the 2010 BET Awards. The song was performed in a medley along with "Over" and the remix of Young Jeezy's "Lose My Mind".
|US Billboard Hot 100||71|
|US Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles (Billboard)||17|
- "New Music: Drake f/ Alicia Keys – ‘Fireworks’". Rap-Up. Rap-Up, LLC. May 26, 2010.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100618054845/http://www.sohh.com/2010/03/universal_previews_drakes_thank_me_later.html. Archived from the original on June 18, 2010. Retrieved May 30, 2011. Missing or empty
- Reid, Shaheem (April 6, 2010). "Drake’s ‘Fireworks’ Begins Story Of Thank Me Later". MTV News. Viacom Inc.
- "Drake & Young Jeezy: Fireworks/Over/Lost My Mind (BET Awards Performance)". HipHopDX. Cheri Media Group. June 28, 2010.
- "Drake – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Drake. Retrieved November 19, 2011.
- "Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles 2010-06-26". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Archived from the original on July 8, 2011.