|Founded||2008 as FirstMark Capital|
|Headquarters||New York City, U.S.|
FirstMark Capital is a venture capital firm based in New York City. FirstMark invests in early-stage technology companies, frequently as the first institutional investor.
Among the firm's areas of focus are Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, healthcare, enterprise applications, education, financial technology, e-commerce, and marketing technology.
The firm's most notable current investments include Pinterest, InVision, Dashlane, Lumosity, Starry, Hubble Contacts, and Dataiku. FirstMark was also an investor in Shopify (NYSE: SHOP), Riot Games (acquired by Tencent Holdings), Aveksa (acquired by EMC), Tapad (acquired by Telenor), Boomi (acquired by DELL), and StubHub (acquired by eBay).
FirstMark focuses on Series A and Seed-stage investments, with capital reserved for follow-investments. It closed its latest funds in June 2016, with $480MM in capital commitments.
In addition to its investment team, the firm employs team members focused on areas like corporate development, talent, and community who are responsible for supporting FirstMark companies after an investment. FirstMark also organizes four NYC-based communities revolving around Artificial Intelligence & Big Data, design and product management, emerging and frontier technology, and software development.
- Geron, Tomio (15 June 2016). "FirstMark Capital Raises $480M for Two New Funds". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "Pequot to Separate Its V.C. and Hedge Fund Units". New York Times. 4 March 2008. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "Pinterest". Crunchbase. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- Ha, Anthony. "InVision Raises $1.5M For Beautiful, Interactive Prototypes". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- Dashlane Passes 2M Users, Collects $22M For Its Client-Based Password Manager. TechCrunch, May 19, 2014
- Lumos Labs Raises $3 Million. VentureBeat, June 3, 2008
- "Aereo's Founder Is Back With Starry. This Time He's Going After Broadband, Not TV". Recode. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- "Contact lens brand Hubble scores funding from FirstMark Capital, others". bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- Dataiku. "Dataiku Secures $14 Million Series A". Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- Shopify Raises $7 Million Series A Funding
- China's Tencent Buys Riot Games for $400 Million
- McBride, Ryan. "Investors Back Growing Bay State Software Firms Aveksa and Apparent Networks in Pair of Series C Financings". xconomy. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Telenor Jumps Into Ad Tech, Acquires Tapad For $360M". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- Dell to Acquire Boomi
- EBay Will Buy StubHub for $310 Million. New York Times, January 11, 2007
- "Announcing Our Newest Funds | FirstMark Capital - New York City Venture Capital". firstmarkcap.com. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Team Members Archive - FirstMark". FirstMark. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- "Data Driven NYC". firstmarkcap.com. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- "Design Driven NYC". firstmarkcap.com. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- "Hardwired NYC". firstmarkcap.com. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- "Code Driven NYC". firstmarkcap.com. Retrieved 2017-11-26.