First Baptist Church (Lynchburg, Virginia)
First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church, Lynchburg VA, November 2008
|Location||1100 Court St., Lynchburg, Virginia|
|Area||1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|Architect||John R. Thomas|
|NRHP reference #||82004570|
|Added to NRHP||September 9, 1982|
|Designated VLR||April 21, 1981|
First Baptist Church is a historic Southern Baptist church located at 1100 Court Street, Lynchburg, Virginia. It is built of hard-pressed red brick on a rough granite foundation. The main facade of the church, facing Eleventh Street, and the two sides are centered with large rose windows framed within Gothic arches covered with hood moldings. Construction began in 1884 and the church was dedicated in 1886. In the 1920s, Lynchburg architect Stanhope S. Johnson designed the complementary Sunday School annex. In 1941, the interior of the sanctuary was modified by Stanhope S. Johnson, with the creation of a divided chancel. It is home to the oldest Baptist congregation of Lynchburg, established in July 1815.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- S. Allen Chambers (April 1981). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: First Baptist Church" (PDF). Virginia Department of Historic Resources. and Accompanying photo
- fbclva.org Lynchburg First Baptist Church website
- First Baptist Church, Court & Eleventh Streets, Lynchburg, Lynchburg, VA at the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS)
|This article about a property in Lynchburg, Virginia on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|