First Church of Christ, Scientist (Berkeley, California)
First Church of Christ, Scientist
|Location||2619 Dwight Way, Berkeley, California|
|Architect||Bernard Ralph Maybeck|
|Architectural style||Mixed (more Than 2 Styles From Different Periods)|
|NRHP Reference #||77000283|
|Added to NRHP||December 22, 1977|
December 22, 1977
December 15, 1975
First Church of Christ, Scientist is a Christian Science church, located at 2892 Dwight Way and Bowditch Street across the street from Peoples Park, in the South Berkeley neighborhood of Berkeley, in Alameda County, California.
The Christian Science Society, Berkeley, a slightly smaller version of First Church of Christ Scientist, Berkeley, continues to meet in the over-100-year-old church building.
"The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Berkeley held its first service in Wilkin's Hall, 2412 Haste Street, on Sunday, March 12, 1905, and its present membership— October, 1905—is forty-eight. A lot was bought (2892 Dwight Way) in June, and a church building will be erected later on." 
The historic 1910 church was designed by renowned architect Bernard Ralph Maybeck (1862–1957), in a primarily American Craftsman style, with Byzantine Revival, Romanesque Revival, and Gothic Revival style elements. The church is widely considered one of Maybeck's masterpieces.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977, and is on the National Register of Historic Places in Alameda County, California.
In October 2005, the Friends were awarded a prestigious federal Save America's Treasurers (SAT) Grant, for the roof replacement and seismic strengthening of the 1910 Church and much of the 1929 Sunday School addition. The church received a Getty Architectural Conservation Implementation Grant in 2006, to enable the completion of the seismic strengthening of the Church and Sunday School addition. In 2009 and 2010 the Friends received University of California Berkeley Chancellor's Community Partnership Grants for restoring the garden setting of the church.
- Bernard Maybeck buildings
- List of Berkeley, California Landmarks, Structures of Merit, and Historic Districts
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Alameda County, California
- "Berkeley Landmarks". Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "First Church of Christ, Scientist". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. 2007-09-27.
- 1st Church of Christ, Scientist, Berkeley First Church of Christ, Scientist, Berkeley homepage
- Christian Science Society, Berkeley homepage
- Christian Science Society, Berkeley.org: From The Christian Science Journal, December 1905, "Among the Churches, Progress in Berkeley, California"
- Friends of First Church Berkeley: Interior
- Maybeck And His Work
- Berkeley Landmarks :: First Church of Christ, Scientist
- Carolyn Pitts (July 1977). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: First Church of Christ Scientist" (pdf). National Park Service. and Accompanying 5 photos, exterior, undated, assumed 1977 or earlier (2.52 MB)
- Friends of First Church Berkeley: Preservation Grants
- Friends of First Church Berkeley: Restoration images
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to
First Church of Christ, Scientist (Berkeley, California).