First Church of Christ, Scientist (Salt Lake City, Utah)
First Church of Christ, Scientist
Salt Lake City, Utah
352 E. 300 South
|Architect||Walter E. Ware|
|Architectural style||Richardsonian Romanesque|
|NRHP Reference #||76001824 |
|Added to NRHP||July 30, 1976|
The former First Church of Christ, Scientist, located at 352 East 300 South (352 East Broadway) in Salt Lake City, Utah, in the United States is an historic structure that on July 30, 1976, was added to the National Register of Historic Places. After being used for a time by Anthony's Fine Art and Antiques, the building is once again being used as a church: Iglesia La Luz del Mundo.
National register listing
- First Church of Christ Scientist (added 1976 - Building - #76001824)
- 352 E. 3rd South, Salt Lake City
- Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
- Architect, builder, or engineer: Ware,Walter E.
- Architectural Style: Other, Romanesque
- Area of Significance: Architecture
- Period of Significance: 1875-1899
- Owner: Private
- Historic Function: Religion
- Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
- Current Function: Religion
- Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
First Church of Christ, Scientist, was organized on July 17, 1891, and was the first Christian Science church in Utah. The church building, designed by local architect, Walter E. Ware, in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, was built in 1898 of brick and Utah Kyune sandstone. After being completely paid for, it was dedicated on November 27, 1898.
First Church of Christ, Scientist, is no longer listed as a Christian Science Church in the Christian Science Journal. After being used for a time by Anthony's Fine Art and Antiques, the building is once again being used as a church: Iglesia La Luz del Mundo.
- List of Registered Historic Places in Utah
- List of former Christian Science churches, societies and buildings
- First Church of Christ, Scientist (disambiguation)
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Church in the snow
- Walden, David M. (1994), "Christian Science in Utah", in Powell, Allan Kent, Utah History Encyclopedia, Salt Lake City, Utah: University of Utah Press, ISBN 0874804256, OCLC 30473917
- State Historical Marker on property
- The Christian Science Journal, December 2007, p. 114