This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||1971Omaha, Nebraska, U.S., in|
|Headquarters||New York, NY, U.S.|
|Revenue||US$ 12.05 billion (2017)|
|US$ 1.71 billion (2017)|
|US$ 1.47 billion (2017)|
|Total assets||US$ 48.27 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||US$ 6.01 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
First Data Corporation (NYSE: FDC) is a financial services company headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, United States. The company's STAR Network provides nationwide domestic debit acceptance at more than 2 million retail POS, ATM, and Online outlets for nearly a third of all U.S. debit cards.
First Data has six million merchants, the largest in the payments industry. The company handles 45% of all US credit and debit transactions, including handling prepaid gift card processing for many US brands such as Starbucks. It processes around 2,800 transactions per second and $2.2 trillion in card transactions annually, with an 80% market share in gas and groceries in 2014. First Data's SpendTrend Report is a key shopping metric for national news networks such as WSJ, USA Today, ESPN, The New York Times, Vox Media, and Bloomberg.
First Data was founded in Omaha, Nebraska in 1971. It started off by providing processing services to the Mid-America Bankcard Association (MABA). In 1976, First Data became the first processor of Visa and MasterCard bank-issued credit cards. In 1980, American Express Information Services Corporation (ISC) bought 80% of First Data. The remaining 20% was purchased in 5% increments each subsequent year until June 1983. First Data Corporation was incorporated on the 7th of April, 1989.
First Data Corporation spun off from American Express and went public in 1992. In 1995, the company merged with First Financial Management Corp. (FFMC) and was then organized into three major business units serving card issuers, merchants and consumers. Western Union became part of First Data as a result of the merger with FFMC.
On January 16, 2019 Fiserv announced a deal to acquire First Data in all-stock deal with equity value of $22 billion.
From 2001 through 2005, a period of expansion occurred as First Data acquired companies around the globe and in the US, including, in 2001, the acquisition of PaySys International and their VisionPLUS Payment Software System. VisionPLUS was followed by a $6.6 billion merger with Concord EFS, Inc. in 2004, which added the STAR Network and PIN-based debit acceptance at more than 1.9 million ATM and retail locations. Additional acquisitions and strategic relationships included GovOne, eONEGlobal, Paymap, Inc., and Taxware. Nevertheless, First Data eventually divested, closed down or absorbed these businesses.
On January 26, 2006, First Data announced its intention to spin off Western Union into an independent publicly traded company through a tax-free spin-off of 100% of Western Union to First Data shareholders. The spin off occurred as planned on September 29, 2006.
On April 2, 2007, it was announced that Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) had entered an agreement to acquire First Data in one of the largest leveraged buy-outs in history, and on October 1, 2007, KKR officially took over the First Data Corporation. Ric Duques retired, and Michael Capellas, previously the CEO of MCI Inc., the president of Hewlett-Packard Company, and also the chairman/CEO of the Compaq Computer Corporation was appointed CEO. As a privately owned company, First Data's stock was taken off the New York Stock Exchange on September 24, 2007. However, the company's LBO was financed with $24 billion in debt, and it remains heavily leveraged. In June 2014, First Data raised a historic $3.5 billion private placement. $1.2 billion of the placement came from KKR; however the majority, $2.3 billion, was from hedge funds, mutual funds and institutions. With this action the company reduced total debt by $3.3 billion, improving net leverage by 1.3 turns and significantly reducing annual cash interest payments. The company continues to maintain investor relations pages on its web site and to publish quarterly financial results. Within two months of the KKR acquisition, the company laid off 1,700 employees across North America, Europe and Australia, about 6% of its workforce.
First Data provided Go-Tag (contactless and mobile payment technology) stickers to delegates and media representatives at the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver, who used them to buy food and beverages. These stickers possessed NFC chips which were read by First Data scanners, which through its back-end system deducted the purchase sum from the Go-Tag ID's balance. First Data also provided the trusted service manager that provisioned accounts to the new mobile Google Wallet system.
First Data entered the Ireland market in a joint venture with Allied Irish Banks PLC named AIB Merchant Services on January 18, 2008. First Data also acquired ICICI Bank's merchant services business in 2009 for 4 billion Indian rupees (US$80 million). It also partnered with Bank of America in 2009 to form Bank of America Merchant Services.
In March 2010, Joe Forehand took over as chairman and interim CEO. In September that same year, Jonathan Judge assumed those roles until his early retirement in January 2013, after which Edward Labry covered the interim post.
Under Frank Bisignano
In April 2013, First Data's Board of Directors announced that former JPMorgan Chase Co-COO Frank Bisignano had been named Chief Executive Officer of the company. In March 2014, Bisignano assumed the role of Chairman. Upon taking office, Bisignano launched an equity ownership plan for all 24,000 of First Data owner-associates.
In 2014, Bisignano promoted notable additions to the company's staff, such as Sanjiv Das, Himanshu Patel, Guy Chiarello, Cindy Armine-Klein, Andrew Gelb, Adam Rosman, Carmen Menendez-Puerto, Joseph Plumeri, Christopher Augustin and Michael Manos.
Since joining, Bisignano has tried to "transform First Data into a provider of new technology for small- and medium-sized businesses". In June 2014, First Data introduced the Insightics solution for small and medium size businesses. Insightics is a cloud-based software that enables small and medium size businesses to monitor key business metrics. First Data created Insightics with Palantir.
In August 2014, First Data expanded its presence in Brazil with Bin, the company's acquiring solution developed specifically for the local market. In September 2014, First Data announced it would provide encryption technology for Apple Pay. Apple Pay allows payment with a single touch. With its integration into First Data's STAR Network, the company became a token service provider, supporting safe POS transactions in Apple Pay. Such transactions are used in venues such as all McDonald's restaurants in the US.
In October 2014, First Data announced the Enhanced TransArmor Solution for small businesses. First Data's TransArmor Solution protects payment card data throughout the transaction process, incorporating several security and compliance products into one multi-layered solution.
In late 2014, First Data announced its collaboration with Capgemini to develop new solutions based on First Data's AccessPLUS and VisionPLUS products, planning to offer new technologies in the second quarter of 2015. The company also announced its partnership with Verifone, wherein merchants using integrated point-of-sale systems that process payments will have a security option when using terminals made by VeriFone Systems Inc. In 2015, Samsung announced its Samsung Pay mobile system in conjunction with First Data. Samsung Pay uses NFC to make payments at POS systems that accept First Data's technology.
In February 2015, First Data reported its first profitable quarter in 29 quarters since its 2007 privatization. In July 2015, First Data acquired Transaction Wireless, a provider of gift card solutions. In September that year, First Data Corporation acquired Spree Commerce, an open source e-commerce platform. Details of the transaction were not disclosed.
In the biggest U.S. IPO of 2015 according to Bloomberg, First Data planned to seek a minimum of $2.5 billion, even up to $3.2 billion (according to Bloomberg) or $3.7 billion (according to the Wall Street Journal). In October that year, First Data sold 160 million shares for $16 apiece, after offering them for $18 and $20. It raised $2.56 billion. According to Bloomberg: "lowering First Data's debt level will be an important step for the company because it will free up money to invest in the business".
2016 and 2017
First Data and Alipay announced a partnership in October 2016 to bring Alipay's mobile payment processing to the United States. Later in 2017, First Data and Alipay announced the implementation of the "point-of-sale" technology, and that Clover would be the first point-of-sale to accept the mobile payment method.
In 2017 First Data announced the launch of their Integrated Solutions Group (ISG), with Edward Jackson to lead the new business segment. Later that February, First Data announced its first ISG partner, ShopKeep, a technology company that allows an iPad to be used as a cash register. In March 2017 First Data announced the acquisition of Acculynk, an ecommerce technology company focused on debit payments. In May 2017 First Data announced their Global PFAC product, which provided payment facilitators with access to a single integration interface. On May 29, 2017 First Data announced its plans to acquire CardConnect, a provider of payment processing which processed approximately $26 billion of volume annually, for $750 million. On October 20, 2017, First Data announced plans to acquire BluePay, a technology-enabled payment processor with about $19 billion in annual volume, for $760 Million.
In June 2017, First Data launched Fraud Detect, which uses artificial intelligence and machine learning, fraud scoring, cybersecurity intelligence, and information from the "Dark Web" to identify potentially fraudulent transactions.
Expansion in India
First Data has the tie up with ICICI Bank, India's largest private bank in the dealing of merchant services, ICICI Merchant Services is proving the domestic and international Merchant account to Indian registered companies having a bank account with ICICI Bank. ICICI Merchant Services with First Data is offering 3D Secure merchant services along with MOTO Machine to merchant and store to process payment by credit card.
First Data's original headquarters, where the company remained based until 1992, were in Omaha, Nebraska. First Data's headquarters were located in Greenwood Village, Colorado. In 2009 First Data announced that it was moving its headquarters from Greater Denver to 5565 Glenridge Connector, NE Atlanta, GA 30342. While the official First Data headquarters are located in Atlanta, Georgia, First Data's principal executive offices are in New York City.
CEO-to-worker pay ratio
According to Bloomberg, First Data Corp. has a CEO-to-worker pay ratio of 2,028:1 for 2018, with CEO compensation of US$102,210,395 and median worker compensation of US$50,406.
In October 2014, First Data launched First Data Salutes. First Data Salutes is the company-wide military engagement strategy aimed at helping the veteran-owned business community and service members and their families transitioning to civilian careers.
In 2015, First Data made a seven-year, $7 million commitment to the Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University to fund education, research, training and other opportunities for transitioning veterans entering the business community. The company was listed on DiversityInc's 25 Noteworthy Companies for 2015. In May 2017 First Data was recognized as the #1 company on the Military Times annual “Best for Vets: Employers 2017” list.
- "First Data Corporation 2017 Annual Report (Form 10-K)". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. February 21, 2018. Retrieved August 26, 2018.
- "First Data Corporation 2017 Quarterly Report, Q3 2018 (Form 10-Q)". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. October 31, 2018. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- Flamm, Matthew. "Apple Pay pays off for First Data". Crain's. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "First Data's ValueLink, Starbucks extend agreement". Denver Business Journal. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Jack Henry & Associates announces strategic partnerships with First Data and PSCU, CUINsight
- Carney, Michael. "Payments giant First Data acquires Gyft in an effort to bring digital gift cards to the masses". Pando daily. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Malcolm, Hadley. "Prolonged holiday shopping boosts season sales". USA Today. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Rovell, Darren. "Analysis: 3.1 percent growth in 'Zona". ESPN. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- D'Innocenzio, Anne. "Sales for Holiday Shopping Season Come Down to the Wire". The New York Times. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Yglesias, Matthew. "Super Bowl XLIX seems to have been a bit of an economic bust". Vox. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Retailers Drop as Bad News Keeps Piling Up on 2017's Worst Stocks Bloomberg
- "First Data Resources, LLC: Private Company Information - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- Crane, Mary. "First Data Announces Western Union Spin-Off". Forbes. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "K.K.R. Offer of $26 Billion is Accepted by First Data". The New York Times. 3 April 2007.
- "What went wrong with First Data?". Retrieved 2010-01-14.
- Carey, David. "KKR Banks on Bisignano Forging Apple Deal at First Data". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Epley, Cole. "Omaha is 'the heart and soul' of First Data, CEO says". Omaha.com. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Bajpai, Prableen. "The Most Famous Leveraged Buyouts". Investopedia. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Stempel, Jonathan (November 15, 2007). "U.S. payment processor First Data cuts 1,700 jobs". Reuters. Retrieved 2010-01-14.
- Swedberg, Claire. "At Democratic Convention, First Data Corp. Showed Off Its GO-Tag". RFID Journal. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- R. Kelly Rainer; Casey G. Cegielski (12 April 2010). Introduction to Information Systems: Enabling and Transforming Business. John Wiley & Sons. pp. 1–. ISBN 978-0-470-47352-8.
- Aamoth, Doug. "How the New 'Google Wallet' Mobile Payment System Works". Time. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Fitzgerald, Kate. "With Google Wallet, First Data Takes On 'Trust' Role". Payments Source. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Allied Irish Bank And First Data Announce Launch Of AIB Merchant Services". Retrieved 2010-01-14.
- "ICICI Bank sells POS business to First Data for $80 million". The Times Of India. December 24, 2009. Retrieved 2011-06-26.
- Ensign, Rachel Louise (26 September 2017). "Bank of America Venture Trims 10% of Staff as Part of Digital Push". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "First Data Quietly Buys Payments Startup Clover; Launches Point Of Sale Platform For Merchants". TechCrunch.
- "First Data Acquires Cardless Customer Loyalty Startup Perka". allthingsd.com.
- "Payments enabler First Data enters gift card business with Gyft acquisition". VentureBeat.
- "First Data Corp. names Joe Forehand as interim CEO". Denver Post. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "First Data hires Jonathan Judge as CEO". Atlanta Business Chronicle. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Ed Labry named interim CEO of First Data". Memphis Business Journal. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Stewart, John. "First Data Chief Bisignano Hails New Spirit of Innovation, Asks To Be 'Graded'". Digital Transactions. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Roumeliotis, Greg. "KKR doubles down on First Data, leading $3.5 billion investment". Reuters. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Carey, David. "KKR's First Data Hires Former Citigroup Banker Gelb, Rosman". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Miller, Rich. "Mike Manos Moves From AOL to First Data". Data Center Knowledge. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Burger, Kathy. "Impact of Chiarello's Departure on JPMorgan Chase's IT Strategy Unclear". InformationWeek. Banks Systems & Technology. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "First Data Appoints Gretchen Garrigues as Chief Marketing Officer". Reuters. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Christopher Augustin Joins First Data As Chief Information Officer". YahooFinance. Businesswire. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Heun, David. "First Data to Use Visa's Common Application ID for EMV Debit Routing". Payments Source. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Primack, Dan. "Why KKR is doubling down on First Data". Fortune. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Sender, Henny. "KKR seeks to make the numbers work at First Data". Financial Times. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "First Data Launches Bin, the New Electronic Payment Solution for Brazil". YahooFinance. Businesswire. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Woodward, Kevin. "Payment Processors Hold Key Tokenization Role In Apple Pay". Digital Transactions. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Enhanced TransArmor® Solution for Small Businesses Means More Protection for Customers at the Swipe". YahooFinance. Businesswire. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Macinas, Melanie. "First Data Teams up with Capgemini to Develop Next Generation Payment Solutions". Payment Week. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Woodward, Kevin. "VeriFone and First Data Team Up on Integrated POS System Security Effort". Digital Transactions. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Gokey, Malarie. "Samsung Pay will work with or without NFC — as long as you have a Galaxy S6". Digital Trends. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Sidel, Robin. "First Data Reports First Quarterly Profit in More Than Seven Years". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- Schuman, Evan. "First Data's Gift Card Deal Adds Data Power to Its Digital Offering". PaymentsSource. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "First Data Buys Spree Commerce To Move Into Open Source Payments Technology". TechCrunch. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Demos, Telis; Beilfuss, Lisa. "First Data to Raise Up to $3.7 Billion in IPO". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Barinka, Alex. "First Data Seeks to Raise as Much as $3.2 Billion in IPO". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Barinka, Alex. "First Data Said to Seek $2.5 Billion in Year's Biggest U.S. IPO". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Barinka, Alex. "First Data, Albertsons Revise IPO Ambitions as Investors Balk". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- Barinka, Alex. "First Data, Albertsons Revise IPO Ambitions as Investors Balk". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Ant Financial partners with First Data and Verifone as part of its global expansion TechCrunch
- Alipay, China's top mobile payment service, expands to the U.S. TechCrunch
- First Data to Power Alipay in North America First Data
- First Data Opens Up the Future of Global Commerce with Broadened Collaboration, Expanded Developer Tools
- First Data Expands ShopKeep Partnership Paymnts.com
- First Data Acquisition Expands Online Debit Capability Forbes
- First Data Launches Tools For Gig Economy PayFacs Pymnts.com
- Payment Processor First Data to Buy CardConnect for $750 Million The New York Times
- Linnane, Ciara. "First Data to acquire BluePay for $760 million in cash". MarketWatch. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- Fraud Detect
- Systems, eZ. "Fiserv to Acquire First Data in $22 Billion Deal / Fresh Today / CUToday.info - CU Today". CUToday. Retrieved 2019-01-17.
- "Contact Us". firstdata.com. Archived from the original on 19 June 2000.
- "City Boundary Map". City of Greenwood Village. Retrieved December 9, 2009.
- "First Data moving HQ to Atlanta". Denver Business Journal.
- "City Council Districts" (PDF). City of Sandy Springs. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 17, 2010. Retrieved July 4, 2009.
- "(Press Release) U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation Announces 4th Annual Hiring Our Heroes Award Winners". US Chamber of Commerce Foundation. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Botnick, Mark. "First Data Chairman and CEO Frank Bisignano Announces $7 Million Partnership with the Institute for Veterans and Military Families Housed at Syracuse University". Syracuse University. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- "DiversityInc's 25 Noteworthy Companies". DiversityInc. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- Best for Vets: Employers 2017 Military Times
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to First Data.|
- Official website
- Business data for First Data Corporation: