First Gulf Bank
|Traded as||ADX: FGB|
|Headquarters||Abu Dhabi, UAE|
Treasury and investments
Number of employees
FGB offers a wide range of financial services in the wholesale, consumer and treasury banking sectors, including Islamic banking and bancassurance solutions for businesses and consumers via a network of branches across the UAE. Internationally, FGB has a branch in Singapore - that includes global wealth management services and a branch in Qatar, representative offices in London, India, Hong Kong and Seoul, South Korea, and a subsidiary in Libya.
In 2013, the bank restructured its business into three divisions: the Wholesale Banking Group, the Consumer Banking Group and the Treasury & Global Markets Group. In the same year, FGB also announced that it had acquired full ownership of Shariah-compliant finance company Aseel Islamic Finance and consumer finance firm Dubai First.
In December 2016, shareholders approved the bank's plans to merge with the National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) and both banks finalised the second-tier management by February 2017. The plan to merge the banks, which was first announced in June this year, will be executed through a share swap, with FGB shareholders receiving 1.254 NBAD shares for each FGB share they hold. The merged entity will continue to be known as NBAD and will be the largest bank in Middle East and North Africa.
Growth and successes
FGB reported a total net profit of AED 5.66 billion in 2014, which represents an 18% increase when compared with AED 4.77 billion achieved in 2013. 2014 also marked the 15th consecutive year of uninterrupted net profit growth for the bank.
The bank’s consistent performance led to a Financial Strength Rating of 'A+' from Capital Intelligence in 2014. In 2013, RAM Ratings provided the bank with an AAA grade, and FGB’s Long Term Rating was affirmed at A+ by Fitch.
Forbes Middle East ranked FGB as the 8th most powerful company and 4th leading bank in its 2014 ‘Top 500 companies in the Arab World’ list. FGB was also named the ‘Best Bank in the United Arab Emirates’ and ‘Best Wealth Management Firm’ at the Banker Middle East Industry Awards 2014.
Throughout 2014, FGB enhanced its presence in the Asia Pacific market with the launch of a new representative office in South Korea  and a Global Wealth Management service at its Singapore branch. The bank also opened a new representative office in London and has announced plans to open a new office in China in the future.
FGB’s other international activities in 2014 include the conclusion of a Negotiable Certificate of Deposit (NCD) programme via its Singapore branch  and the issuance of the bank’s debut 250 million Australian dollar (USD 228.35 million) ‘Kangaroo’ 5-year bond. FGB has also received approval for a Sukuk issuance in Malaysia  and became the first MENA issuer in the Tokyo Pro-Bond Market, selling a debut 10 billion yen (USD 98.2 million) bond.
In April 2014, FGB, formerly known as First Gulf Bank, unveiled its current logo after announcing a shift in the bank’s corporate identity. As part of the rebrand, the bank adopted the acronym, ‘FGB’, which was already widely used by its stakeholders. FGB remains First Gulf Bank in Arabic however, and no changes have been made to the bank as a legal entity.
FGB announced to media that the rebrand was part of a long-term strategy to grow the bank locally and internationally, and reflects its UAE and Abu Dhabi heritage, commitment to Emirati development and aspirations and ambitions for further success and growth in the future.
FGB is a sponsor of Ferrari World Abu Dhabi (FWAD), the largest indoor and the only Ferrari-branded theme park in the world. FGB sponsors the Junior GT ride at FWAD, which is part of its driving school where children receive their first training about road safety and discipline and learn about the essential rules they will need to abide by once they start driving.
The bank also sponsors the Al Ain Sports & Cultural Club and in 2014, launched the ‘FGB Arena’, which is located in Zayed Sports City, Abu Dhabi. The ‘FGB Arena’ is home to a range of regular programmes, from sports and music events through to conferences and exhibitions. Managed by an operator in co-operation with FGB, the venue can accommodate up to 6,000 spectators.
Board of Directors
H.H. Sheikh Tahnoon Bin Zayed Al Nahyan – Chairman
Ahmed Ali Al Sayegh - Vice Chairman
Khaldoon Khalifa Al Mubarak - Board Member
Sultan Khalfan Al Ktebi - Board Member
Mohammed Saif Al Suwaidi - Board Member
Jassim Al Siddiqi - Board Member
Abdulhamid Mohammed Saeed - Member & Managing Director
André Sayegh - Chief Executive Officer
Zulfiqar Sulaiman - Chief Operating Officer
Arif Shaikh - Chief Risk Officer
Karim Karoui - Chief Financial Officer
Sara Al Binali - Head of Strategic Planning
Shirish Bhide - Acting Head of Wholesale Banking Group
Hana Al Rostamani - Head of Consumer Banking Group
TG Ramani - Acting Head of Treasury & Global Markets Group
Melvin Fraser - Acting Head of Human Resources
Rajesh Deshpande - Acting Head of Wholesale Credit Group
Jasim Al Ali - Chief Executive Officer, First Gulf Properties & Mismak Properties
Nurendra Perera - Head of Internal Audit
- First Gulf Bank to set up $1.07 billion sukuk in Malaysia: Reuters, March 6, 2014
- First Gulf Bank taps rising demand for Sharia finance with purchase of Aseel: The National, October 26, 2013
- First Gulf Bank completes acquisition of Dubai First: Gulf News, November 6, 2013
- Shareholders of NBAD, FGB approve merger:Gulf News, December 7, 2016
- Ahead of merger, UAE banks NBAD, FGB finalise second-tier management:Emirates 24|7, February 7, 2017
- FGB 2014 Net Profit at AED 5.66 Billion, up 18% from 2013: Zawya, January 28, 2015
- Record profit for big Abu Dhabi banks: The National, January 28, 2015
- First Gulf Bank - Ratings Affirmed with Stable Outlooks: Capital Intelligence, June 25, 2014
- RAM Ratings assigns AAA/Stable/P1 ratings to First Gulf Bank, the UAE’s third-largest bank: RAM Ratings, March 6, 2014
- RPT-Fitch Affirms First Gulf Bank at 'A+'; Outlook Stable; Upgrades VR to 'bbb': Reuters, April 8, 2013
- FGB ranked in top 10 companies and named 4th leading bank in the Arab world by Forbes Middle East: AME Info, June 19, 2014
- FGB named 'Best Bank in United Arab Emirates' and 'Best Wealth Management firm': Zawya, June 4, 2014
- FGB begins operations in Seoul: Gulf News, July 14, 2014
- FGB launches Global Wealth Management service in Singapore: Gulf News, May 5, 2014
- FGB’s wholesale group to take part in deals worth $15b: Gulf News, February 4, 2014
- FGB sets up $1b Singapore programme to fund Asian expansion: Gulf Today, April 16, 2014
- First Gulf Bank Follows NBAD With Middle Eastern Kangaroo Bond: Bloomberg, March 24, 2014
- FGB to set up $1.07b sukuk in Malaysia: Gulf Today, March 7, 2014
- FGB concludes 5-year bond on new Tokyo Pro-Bond Market: WAM, June 26, 2014
- New name and growth focus for First Gulf Bank: The National, April 20, 2014
- Inaugurating the ‘FGB Arena’ in Abu Dhabi: AlBawaba, February 4, 2014