First Information Report
|Criminal trials and convictions|
|Rights of the accused|
|Related areas of law|
A First Information Report (FIR) is a written document prepared by police organizations in Bangladesh, India, and Pakistan when they receive information about the commission of a cognizable offence. It is generally a complaint lodged with the police by the victim of a cognizable offense or by someone on his or her behalf, but anyone can make such a report either orally or in writing to the police.
For a non cognizable offense a Community Service Register is created & registered.
FIR is an important document because it sets the process of criminal justice in motion. It is only after the FIR is registered in the police station that the police take up investigation of the case. Anyone who knows about the commission of a cognizable offence, including police officers, can file an FIR.
As described in law,
- When information about the commission of a cognizable offence is given orally, the police must write it down.
- The person giving information or making a complaint has a right to demand that the information recorded by the police be read to him or her.
- Once the information has been recorded by the police, it must be signed by the person giving the information.
- "First Information Report". Criminal Justice and Supreme court. Allied Publishers. 2005. pp. 5–19. ISBN 81-7764-904-3.
- R. Deb (2002). "Police Investigations: A Review". In P. J. Alexander. Policing India in the New Millennium. Allied Publishers. p. 120. ISBN 978-81-7764-207-0.
- Maneka Gandhi; Ozair Husain; Raj Panjwani (2006). "How to file an FIR". Animal Laws of India. Universal Law Publishing Co. p. 795. ISBN 978-81-7534-528-7.
- Sunil Goel. Courts Police Authorities & Common Man. srishti books. pp. 95–97.
- Complete information about what an FIR is, who can file it, rights of people, etc. (PDF format)
- "Spread Law Topics : Law on FIR in India". Spread Law. Retrieved February 20, 2012.
- "FAQs about filing an FIR in India". fixindia.org. Retrieved February 20, 2012.
- Procedure of filing an FIR in India