First Parish Church (Duxbury, Massachusetts)
First Parish Church
|Nearest city||Duxbury, Massachusetts|
|Architectural style||Greek Revival|
|NRHP reference #||78001404|
|Added to NRHP||July 21, 1978|
The First Parish Church is a historic Unitarian Universalist (formerly Congregationalist) church at Tremont and Depot Streets in Duxbury, Massachusetts. First Parish Church is currently a member congregation of the Unitarian Universalist Association.
The original Duxbury congregation was founded in 1632 by Elder William Brewster as a Christian Separatist church with early members coming from the First Parish Church in Plymouth, the oldest church in New England. In the beginning, the church likely met in congregants' homes until the first meeting house was built near what is today known as Miles Standish Burial Ground. The Duxbury congregation became a parish church of Massachusetts' Congregationalist state church. A schism developed at the turn of the 19th century, when much of the congregation adopted Unitarianism along with many of the other state churches in Massachusetts. State churches were officially disaffiliated with the Massachusetts government in 1834. The current church building was constructed in 1840. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Site of the original First Parish Church meeting house within Myles Standish Burial Ground
- First Parish Church in Plymouth
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Plymouth County, Massachusetts
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Justin Winsor, A History of the Town of Duxbury, Massachusetts (BiblioBazaar, LLC, 2009) https://books.google.com/books?id=WxdiOwQYgFEC&source=gbs_navlinks_s ISBN 1-115-77571-5, ISBN 978-1-115-77571-7
- Gershom Bradford, History of the First Parish Church of Duxbury, Massachusetts (Womans Alliance, 1953) https://books.google.com/books?id=b4SsHAAACAAJ&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Paul Erasmus Lauer, Church and state in New England (Johns Hopkins Press, 1892)pg. 105-107  (accessed September 20, 2009)
- First Parish of Duxbury official website
- The records from 1825-1846 of the First Parish Church are in the Andover-Harvard Theological Library at Harvard Divinity School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
|This article about a National Register of Historic Places listing in Plymouth County Massachusetts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Massachusetts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|