First Step (Faces album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Studio album by Faces|
|Recorded||August 1969-January 1970 at De Lane Lea Studios, London|
|Genre||Blues rock, hard rock, country rock|
|Singles from First Step|
First Step was the first album by the British group Faces, released in early 1970. The album was released only a few months after the Faces had formed from the ashes of the Small Faces (from which Ronnie Lane, Kenney Jones and Ian McLagan hailed) and The Jeff Beck Group (from which Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood hailed.) The album is credited to the Small Faces on all North American issues and reissues, while record labels for initial vinyl printings give the title as The First Step.
It is generally regarded as their weakest studio effort, recorded at London's famous De Lane Lea Studios too soon after the group's formation, and reached no higher than #119 on the Billboard charts., however it is also viewed as the most democratic of the Faces releases, affording as it does each member of the group at least one composer credit. Highlights include Ronnie Lane's "Stone", "Shake Shudder, Shiver", "Three Button Hand Me Down" (on which both Lane and Wood play the bassline, affording the track a unique sonic quality in the Faces catalogue), and the album's centerpiece, "Flying".
The album cover shows Ronnie Wood holding a copy of Geoffrey Sisley's seminal guitar tutorial First Step: How to Play the Guitar Plectrum Style.
On 28 August 2015, the album was reissued in a remastered and expanded form, including two previously-unreleased bonus tracks recorded shortly after the album's release, "Behind the Sun" and "Mona the Blues" (although the latter was remade by Lane and Wood in 1972 for their Mahoney's Last Stand film soundtrack).
All lead vocals by Rod Stewart except where indicated
- "Wicked Messenger" (Bob Dylan) - 4:05
- "Devotion" (Ronnie Lane) - 4:54 (lead vocals: Ronnie Lane, Rod Stewart)
- "Shake, Shudder, Shiver" (Lane, Ronnie Wood) - 3:14
- "Stone" (Lane) - 5:38 (lead vocals: Ronnie Lane)
- "Around the Plynth" (Rod Stewart, Wood) - 5:56
- "Flying" (Lane, Stewart, Wood) - 4:15
- "Pineapple and the Monkey" (instrumental) (Wood) - 4:23
- "Nobody Knows" (Lane, Wood) - 4:05
- "Looking Out the Window" (instrumental) (Kenney Jones, Ian McLagan) - 4:59
- "Three Button Hand Me Down" (McLagan, Stewart) - 5:44
2015 Reissue bonus tracks
- "Behind The Sun" (Jones, Lane, McLagan, Stewart, Wood)
- "Mona The Blues" (instrumental) (Lane, Wood)
- "Shake, Shudder Shiver" [BBC Session] (Lane, Wood)
- "Flying" [Take 3] (Lane, Stewart, Wood)
- "Nobody Knows" [Take 2] (Lane, Wood)
Note: The 2015 reissue replicates the US edition of the LP, containing minor edits not present on the UK original [most noticeably, Stewart's cry of 'That's yer lot!' at the end of track 5 has been omitted].
- Rod Stewart - lead and backing vocals, harmonica, banjo (track 4)
- Ronnie Lane - bass, rhythm and acoustic guitars, backing vocals, lead vocal (track 4), co-lead vocal (tracks 2,3 & 8)
- Ronnie Wood - lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars, second bass guitar (track 10), backing vocals
- Ian McLagan - Hammond organ, Wurlitzer electric and acoustic pianos, backing vocals
- Kenney Jones - drums and percussion
- Martin Birch - engineer
- Faces - producer
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Faces: First Step > Review" at AllMusic. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Small Faces* – First Step". discogs.com. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Detail of record label from first UK pressing, Faces' The First Step (1970).
- "First Step > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums" at AllMusic. Retrieved 10 August 2014.