First inauguration of George W. Bush
|Date||January 20, 2001|
|Location||United States Capitol
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Participants||President of the United States
George Walker Bush
William Hubbs Rehnquist
Richard Bruce Cheney
George W. Bush's first inaugural address
The first inauguration of George W. Bush as the 43rd President of the United States took place on January 20, 2001. The inauguration marked the commencement of the first four-year term of George W. Bush as President and Dick Cheney as Vice President. Chief Justice William Rehnquist administered the oath of office at 12:01 p.m. An estimated 300,000 people attended the swearing-in ceremony.
On the eve of the inauguration, there was a celebration for U.S. authors hosted by Laura Bush at DAR Constitution Hall. Wayne Newton, Brooks & Dunn, and Ricky Martin performed as the pre-inaugural entertainment.
Thousands of demonstrators attended the inaugural ceremonies in Washington, D.C., to protest the outcome and controversial circumstances of the 2000 U.S. Presidential Election. Four protesters were arrested and Bush's limousine was hit by a tennis ball and an egg thrown from the crowd during the inaugural parade.
- Presidency of George W. Bush
- United States presidential election, 2000
- George W. Bush Presidential Campaign, 2000
- "Bush gets keys to White House, flexes first presidential muscles", Cable News Network, January 20, 2001. Last accessed January 22, 2009.
- Angela Greiling Keane and Chris Dolmetsch, "Washington Braces for Chaos, Gridlock at Inaugural (Update1)" Bloomberg.com, January 18, 2009. Last accessed January 22, 2009.
- Jemal R. Brinson, "INAUGURATION 2009: Where history will be made", The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, January 18, 2009. Last accessed January 22, 2009.
- "Bush parties on eve of inauguration". Cable News Network. January 19, 2001. Retrieved 22 January 2009.
- Pareles, Jon (January 21, 2009). "Music for Many Firsts at Inauguration Events". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-01-22.
Wayne Newton, the country duo Brooks & Dunn and the Latin pop singer Ricky Martin performed at his pre-inaugural event
- "President Bush sworn in", BBC News, January 20, 2001. Last accessed January 22, 2009.
- "Protesters line inaugural parade route" Cable News Network (via archive.org), January 20, 2001. Last accessed January 22, 2009.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to George W. Bush 2001 presidential inauguration.|