Firstborn (digital agency)
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2015)|
|Headquarters||New York, NY|
Firstborn is a digital creative agency headquartered in New York City’s TriBeCa neighborhood. The company was co-founded in 1997 by Michael Ferdman and currently employs approximately 90 strategists, designers, producers, and technologists.
Firstborn began serving clients in 1997 from its headquarters in the Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood of New York City. Founder Michael Ferdman had previously worked in the garment industry, and much of Firstborn’s early work was based in fashion and retail, including a website for designer Yigal Azrouël. The company added to its portfolio by taking on large digital projects such as a digital companion site for the release of Madonna’s Music album, and in later years, by partnering with other agencies as a digital production partner.
After adding full in-house digital capabilities, including strategy & analytics as well as live-action video production, post-production and 3D and motion graphics, Firstborn shifted its business strategy to focus on direct-to-client relationships.
In 2010, Dan LaCivita, who began his tenure at Firstborn as a flash developer, was named agency President, and JoonYong Park, who began as a senior art director, was named Chief Creative Officer.
Firstborn recently worked on digital projects with UNIQLO, Redken, Morgans Hotel Group, and Keds. The company also partnered with PepsiCo to develop and launch a touchscreen fountain machine, Pepsi Spire.
The company serves as the global agency for Japan-based All Nippon Airways and digital agency-of-record for both Mountain Dew and beauty conglomerate L’Oreal Luxe, which includes the Lancôme, Kiehl’s, Urban Decay, and Clarisonic brands.
Awards & Recognition
Advertising Age named Firstborn as a 2015 Creativity Standout, an honor that recognizes a handful of agencies around the world who are delivering notable creative ideas that push the ad industry forward.
- Aditham, Kiran. "Here’s an Agency Office Move Summed Up in a Hot Minute". Media Bistro. Retrieved 12 May 2014.
- Rae, Haniya. "Inside the agency: Firstborn". Digiday.
- Ford, Rob. "Digital Pioneers, Then and Now...". The FWA.
- "Digital Creative Agency Firstborn Joins Dentsu". PR Newswire. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- Patel, Kunur. "Firstborn Is No. 8 on Ad Age's Agency A-List". AdAge.
- Diaz, Ann-Christine. "JoonYong Park Named Chief Creative Officer at Firstborn". AdAge.
- Monllos, Kristina. "Wren's 'First Kiss' Is Among the Honorees at Clio Image Awards". AdWeek.
- Heine, Christopher. "Razorfish Nabs Masco, Firstborn Gets Redken". AdWeek.
- Parekh, Rupal. "Morgans Hotel Group's Homegrown Chief Marketer Preps for Global Expansion". AdAge.
- Rae, Haniya. "Step by step: Inside Keds’s girl-oriented social strategy". Digiday.
- "Meet 'Spire,' Pepsi's Answer to Coke's Freestyle Machines". Creativity.
- "Firstborn Flies Beyond Digital with Global Japanese Airline Win". AdAge.
- "Accounts on the Move". Media Post.
- "Firstborn Adds L'Oreal Luxury Brands to Client Roster". AdAge.
- "Firstborn Listing". Creativity.
- "Agency of the Year: Best Web Design and Development: Firstborn". Media Post.
- "MOST INNOVATIVE COMPANIES 2010". Fast Company.
- "Best Places to Work 2011". Crains NY.
- "Top 5 Innovative Digital Marketing Agencies". Mashable.
- Trager, Cara. "Best Places to Work 2014". www.crainsnewyork.com. Crains New York. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- Ad Age Staff. "Best Places to Work 2014". www.adage.com. Advertising Age. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- Ad Age Staff. "2015 Creativity Standouts". www.adage.com. Advertising Age. Retrieved 26 January 2015.