Firstmark Credit Union
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Firstmark Credit Union's Administrative Office
|Predecessor||San Antonio Teachers Credit Union|
|Headquarters||San Antonio, Texas, United States|
President/Chief Executive Officer
SVP/Chief Financial Officer
SVP/Chief Information Officer
SVP/Chief Lending Officer
SVP/Chief Retail Officer
|Total assets||US$1 billion |
Number of employees
Firstmark Credit Union (formerly San Antonio Teachers Credit Union) is a federally insured, state-chartered, member-owned, not-for-profit financial cooperative. The credit union was founded by educators in 1932, and changed its name to Firstmark Credit Union in October 2002. Serving over 100,000  members and managing assets of more than US$1 billion, the Credit Union is the fourth largest in San Antonio, Texas’. With sixteen financial centers(including the acquisition of Southside Credit Union and St. Joseph's Credit Union), the Credit Union offers a full range of financial products and services, both personal and commercial. Firstmark Credit Union is community-chartered. Membership is open to anyone who lives, works, worships, attends school in Bexar County. Educators, students and their families, in the following 12 surrounding counties are also eligible: Atascosa, Bandera, Comal, Dimmit, Frio, Guadalupe, Kendall, La Salle, McMullen, Medina, Wilson, and Zavala.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Southside Credit Union(2013). Southside Credit Union was chartered in 1996 and largely focused on servicing members in the southern communities of San Antonio. Firstmark Credit Union acquired Southside in November 2013 to develop and strengthen their relationships with members throughout south San Antonio. With the merger, members of these communities were able to take advantage of the expanded products and services available, technology, and larger ATM network. Firstmark also gained 3 additional financial centers branches through the expansion.
St.Joseph's Credit Union (2015). St. Joseph’s Credit Union was chartered in 1933 to support the catholic communities in San Antonio, Del Rio, and Fredericksburg. Firstmark acquired St. Joseph’s in 2015, expanding Firstmark’s member base and helping the credit union achieve over $1 billion in assets. The merger provided St. Joseph’s with the additional resources needed to help ensure its members had access to the recent advances in technology services, cybersecurity, a larger ATM network, and an expansion in products and services.
Below are the Firstmark Member qualification requirements:
|Bexar, Comal, Crockett, Edwards, Guadalupe, Kenney, Maverick, Sutton, Terrell, Val Verde||Must live, work, attend school, or worship in county|
|Blanco, Gillespie, Krimble, Llano, Mason||Must live or work in county|
In addition to those included above, the groups below are also eligible for membership with Firstmark Credit Union:
- Employees of:
- Texas A&M Extension System
- Members of:
- Bexar County Medical Society
- Catholic Life Insurance Company
- Members and Employees of a Catholic Church in:
- Del Rio County
- Bracketville County
- Rocksprings County
- Comstock County
- Employees, retired school employees or students of public school districts, colleges or universities in Bexar County and 10 surrounding counties, including Atascosa, Bandera, Dimmit, Frio, Kendall, La Salle, McMullen, Medina, Wilson and Zavala.
All relatives of those listed above are also eligible for membership.
Credit Unions for Kids. Since 1987, Firstmark Credit Union, along with other local credit unions, have supported a fund raising program called Credit Unions for Kids (CUFK) that benefits The Children's Hospital of San Antonio in partnership with the Children's Miracle Network.  Through their many years of partnership, Firstmark has donated more than $900,000 total to CUFK through various fundraising and community events.
SA Reads. Firstmark Credit Union is a partner of SAReads which is a project of Literacy San Antonio. Each summer, SAReads holds a citywide book drive where book banks across the city, including Firstmark branches, collect donations and then distribute the items collected to schools, learning centers and non-profits throughout the community. In addition to supporting the annual drive, Firstmark donated a 2,000 square foot space at one of their branches to serve as an SA Reads program office and book bank.
Academic Planners. At the start of each school year, Firstmark distributes academic planners to educators and academic office staffs. The planners are distributed to school districts, private schools, colleges, universities, and after-school programs throughout San Antonio and the 12 surrounding counties, as well as Fredericksburg. The planners feature the entire academic calendar with space for additional notes and include important holidays each month.
Educator and Student Scholarships. Each year, Firstmark Credit Union awards fifteen $1,000 Frank Price and Helen Shipman Cunningham scholarships to outstanding high school seniors; ten $500 scholarships for classroom use to elementary, middle, and high school teachers. In 2007, the credit union also contributed $5,000 towards the Northeast Lakeview College Scholarship Fund.
Firstmark Credit Union supports many other community organizations including: San Antonio Lighthouse of the Blind, San Antonio Youth Centers/YouthBuild San Antonio, United Way Days of Caring, and San Antonio Parks Foundation and Friends of the Parks. 
Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award. In 2013, Firstmark was awarded the Dora Maxwell Award for its commitment to community, institutional well-being and cultivating literacy among youth and adults. The award is designed to recognize credit unions that are dedicated to improving the lives of nonmembers in communities for nonmembers through various fundraising and public events.
Super Advocate of the Year. In June 2016, Firstmark was recognized as the Super Advocate of the Year by the Cornerstone Credit Union League. Firstmark was chosen based on its legislative engagement, employee commitment, participation in CU:ROAR, and it’s regulatory focus. The award recognizes credit unions who are advocating for their members through legislative and political activities specific to industry.
Top Summer Vacation Savings Account. Firstmark’s Summer Savers Club Account was chosen as one of the Top 6 Summer Vacation Savings Accounts by GoBankingRates in 2014. Designed to help members save money for their dream getaway, the Credit Union’s program offered higher interest rates than the national average, convenient set up through direct deposit, and any un-used funds at the end of the summer are transferred over to another Firstmark account held by the member.
- Business Banking
- Certificate of Deposits
- Checking Accounts
- Consumer Loans (Auto, Motorcycle, Boat & Jet Ski, Mortgage)
- Credit Cards
- Online Banking
- Real Estate (home equity, improvement and property loans)
- Savings Accounts
- Auto and Real Estate Loans
Firstmark Credit Union currently has 15 financial centers throughout the regions they serve.
|Year Established||Financial Center||Address|
|July 1989||Culebra||7200 Culebra Road|
|May 1980||Gulfdale||10730 Gulfdale St.|
|July 1992||Huebner||8960 Huebner Road|
|January 1995||Mission Road||1440 S. E. Military Drive|
|December 1997||Jefferson||122 Donaldson|
|July 2001||O’Connor||11530 North IH 35|
|January 2003||Gold Canyon||2023 Gold Canyon|
|August 2007||Bandera||8826 Bandera Rd.|
|Spring 2008||Zarzamora||6927 S. Zarzamora St.|
|September 2009||DeZavala||12822 IH 10|
|August 2011||Alamo Ranch||10911 Culebra Rd.|
|November 2013||Southwest Military||3401 SW Military Drive|
|December 2013||Potranco||10610 Potranco Road|
|May 2014||Bitters||2600 North Loop 1604 W|
|December 2015||Fredericksburg||610 W. Main St.|
- "PEOPLE, PLACES & THINGS…". tcul.coop. Texas Credit Union League. Retrieved 2009-09-22.
- "Firstmark Credit Union". iBanknet.com. iBanknet.com. Retrieved 2016-09-01.
- "Firstmark Credit Union". iBanknet.com. Retrieved 2016-09-01.
- "Find a Credit Union". NCUA.gov. National Credit Union Administration. Retrieved 2009-09-04.
- "BBB Business Review". bbb.org. Better Business Bureau. Retrieved 2011-03-17.
- "Firstmark Credit Union Reaches Major Milestone Managed Assets Surpass $1 Billion During Fourth Quarter 2015". San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved 2016-09-14.
- "Firstmark Credit Union and Southside Credit Union Complete Merger". Firstmark Credit Union. Retrieved 2016-09-14.
- "San Antonio credit unions merge". mySA.com. Retrieved 2016-09-14.
- "Fourth largest SA credit union acquires competitor, gains downtown branches". San Antonio Business Journal. Retrieved 2016-09-14.
- "Sponsor Detail". ChildrensMiracleNetwork.org. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "Recognizing the 75th anniversary of Firstmark Credit Union in San Antonio.". www.legis.state.tx.us. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "Firstmark CU Sells Fiesta Medals for CUs for Kids.". Cornerstone Credit Union League. Retrieved 2016-09-14.
- "SA Reads". literacysanantonio.com. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "City-wide book drive seeks 100,000 donations". MySA.com. Retrieved 2016-09-14.
- "Firstmark Helps Schools with 85,000 Academic Planners". Cornerstone Leaguer. Retrieved 2016-09-14.
- "Annual Scholarships Awarded to Fifteen Area High School Seniors". PR Web. Retrieved 2016-09-01.
- "Firstmark Credit Union Contributes $5,000 to Northeast Lakeview College Scholarship Fund". www.accd.edu. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "Friends of SALB". www.salighthouse.org. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "Lighthouse Happenings". www.salighthouse.org. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "New SA Youthbuild Center expands program, receives donation". kens5.com. KENS 5 Staff. Archived from the original on August 20, 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- "Firstmark Credit Union Sponsors Second Annual Teen Volunteer Fair". unitedwaysatx.org. United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "Parks and Recreation Department - News Releases". www.sanantonio.gov. City of San Antonio Parks and Recreation. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "Parks and Recreation Department - News Releases". www.saparksfoundation.org. San Antonio Parks Foundation. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "Cornerstone CU League Announces Winners in Dora Maxwell, Louise Herring; Desjardins Award Programs". Cornerstone Leaguer. Retrieved 2016-11-03.
- "CUES Advantage: July 5, 2016". CUES. Retrieved 2016-11-03.
- "The 6 Best Summer Vacation Savings Accounts". Go Banking Rates. Retrieved 2016-11-03.