|Princess of Jordan|
|Spouse||Prince Muhammad bin Talal|
|Father||H.E. Farid al-Rashid|
|Mother||Farida Fahoum al-Rashid|
Princess Firyal is a Jordanian princess, humanitarian, patriot and philanthropist schooled in Jordan, Lebanon, and Columbia University. Married to Prince Muhammad bin Talal, younger brother of the late HM King Hussein of Jordan for seventeen years, she is the mother of Prince Talal and Prince Ghazi. She has been a UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador since 1992, for whom she works on programs for education and protection of world heritage. HRH is a board member at the International Rescue Committee (IRC), New York Public Library, and a wide range of museums and universities such as member of the Dean's Council at Harvard Kennedy School.
Early life and education
Firyal Irshaid was born in Jerusalem is the daughter of the late Farid Irshaid, a political leader who served as a Minister in the Government and a Parliamentarian in the Senate in Jordan. Her mother Farida was Chair of the Red Crescent Society in The West Bank.
Princess Firyal attended Berzeit College. She studied for two years at the American College for Women in Beirut prior to her marriage; she resumed her studies and earned a bachelor's degree from Columbia University School of General Studies in 1999.
The Princess was appointed a UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador in 1992. Three years later, in 1995, she was appointed Special Advisor to the Director General of UNESCO. She works primarily on programs for protection of world heritage and education.
In Jordan, Princess Firyal became active in relief work in refugee camps. She worked for the literacy programs with the nomadic Bedouin tribes. Princess Firyal also established the family planning program.
The princess's philanthropic positions and credentials include:
- Board of Directors of the United Nations Association in March, 2003.
- Board of Trustees of the International Rescue Committee based in New York.
- Dean's Councils of Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government
- International Council at Columbia University
- Board of Trustees of the New York Public Library
- Trustee of the Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris
- International Council of the Tate Modern in London
- Minister Plenipotentiary by the government of Jordan in May 2007 at the Jordanian Embassy as U.S. Ambassador
- Museum of Modern Art Board of Chairman Council of MOMA.
- Guggenheim Museum Member of the Middle Eastern Circle
- Jordan : Grand Cordon of the Order of Independence
- Malaysia : Honorary Grand Commander of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (24 April 1965)
- Austria : Austrian Honor
- Official biography – HRH Princess Firyal of Jordan
- "Official biography – HRH Princess Firyal of Jordan". Retrieved 2009-07-12.
- "Princess Firyal's Class Act". School of General Studies News. June 1999. Archived from the original on July 17, 2001. Retrieved 2009-07-12.
- "HRH Princess Firyal meets with the Director-General to discuss education issues – Personalidades al servicio de la UNESCO | UNESCO.org". Portal.unesco.org. Retrieved 2010-04-29.
- "OLogy". Amnh.org. Retrieved 2010-04-29.
- FIRYAL. "HRH Princess Firyal of Jordan's letter about the International Hope Foundation". Princess Firyal. Retrieved 2009-07-12.
- "HRH Princess Firyal of Jordan's biography, work and life". Princessfiryal.org. Retrieved 2010-04-29.
- "Senarai Penuh Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat Persekutuan Tahun 1965." (PDF).