Fish & Richardson
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|No. of offices||13|
|No. of attorneys||400+|
|Major practice areas||IP Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Patent, Post-Grant, Trademark, Copyright, Regulatory|
|Key people||Peter Devlin (President)|
|Company type||Professional Corporation|
Fish & Richardson P.C. is a global patent, intellectual property litigation, and commercial litigation law firm with more than 400 attorneys and technology specialists across the U.S. and Europe. Fish is one of the most sought-after firms for both patent prosecution and patent litigation services among Fortune 100 companies. Fish has been named the #1 patent litigation firm in the U.S. for 12 consecutive years. In 2016, Fish was a finalist for American Lawyer’s “Top IP Litigation Department of the Year”. Fish’s intellectual property practice received a top “Tier 1” U.S. ranking by Managing Intellectual Property magazine from 2011-2015. The firm’s growing regulatory group advises clients seeking to market products subject to United States Federal Communications Commission and the Food and Drug Administration regulation.
In February 2020, the company named John Adkisson as president and CEO.
- Fish & Richardson Named #1 Patent Litigation Firm (Corporate Counsel, 2004–2016)
- Fish & Richardson Named Intellectual Property Firm of the Year (Benchmark Litigation, 2019)
- Fish & Richardson Named Intellectual Property Boutique Firm of the Year (2018 LMG Life Sciences)
- Fish & Richardson Named Top “Band 1” Rankings for IP and ITC (2012-2018 Chambers USA)
- Fish & Richardson Named General Patent Litigation Firm of the Year (2017-2018 LMG Life Sciences)
- Fish & Richardson recipient of "Tier 1" rankings in Litigation-Intellectual Property, Litigation-Patent, Technology Law, and Trademark Law (2012-2018 US News Media Group and Best Lawyers, Best Law Firms survey)
- Fish & Richardson Ranks in Top 15 Percent of Law Firms for Diversity (2016 AmLaw) 
- Fish & Richardson Named a Top Trademark Law Firm (2011-2018 World Trademark Review) 
- Fish & Richardson recipient of Top "Tier 1" IP Rankings in every national US category (January 2011 – 2018 Managing Intellectual Property) 
- Fish & Richardson Named Finalist – Litigation Department of the Year(January 2014, 2016 The American Lawyer)
- Fish & Richardson Named to National Law Journal's Appellate Hot List (2012-2016, 2018)
- Fish & Richardson Named Patent Contentious Law Firm of the Year in the U.S. by Managing Intellectual Property
- Fish & Richardson Named “IP Litigation Powerhouse” (BTI Survey 2018)
- Fish & Richardson Named Law360 IP Practice Group of the Year (2011-2018)
- Fish & Richardson Named Top PTAB Law Firm (2014-2018 Managing Intellectual Property Magazine)
- Fish & Richardson Receives Top Tier 1 National Rankings in Patent Prosecution and Patent Litigation(The Legal 500)
- Fish & Richardson Named to 2016 Intellectual Property Hot List (2012-2016 National Law Journal)
- Fish & Richardson Patent Prosecution and Litigation Practices Received Top National Rankings (2014-2018 IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners)
- Fish & Richardson Named Top Patent Firm (2017 Juristat)
- Frederick Perry Fish, Founder of the firm and president of American Telephone & Telegraph Corporation from 1901 to 1907.
- "Who Protects Innovation in America 2009: The Guardians". 2009. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
...With eight and six mentions, respectively, two of the top litigation firms—Fish & Richardson and IP Litigation Department of the Year winner Quinn Emanuel Urquhart Oliver & Hedges (see "What Rhymes with Win?" page 26) had four clients between the tech and telecom sectors. ...'
- "2015 Patent Litigation Survey". November 2015. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
Fish & Richardson...topped the survey for the twelfth consecutive year, having handled 201 cases in 2014 -- more than any other firm. Fish is on track to surpass that number this year...
- "Litigation Department of the Year". 2016. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
According to The American Lawyer, “When it comes to the numbers, Fish & Richardson can’t be beat. In 2014…the firm handled 245 new intellectual property suits…more than any other Am Law 200 firm.
- "Managing Intellectual Property World IP Survey" (PDF). 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-19.
- "Fish & Richardson Gets a New CEO in Minneapolis". Twin Cities Business. Retrieved 2020-02-25.
- Corporate Counsel (October 2014). "The 2015 Patent Litigation Survey".
- Benchmark Litigation (March 2019). "Benchmark Litigation 2019 United States Awards - EAST".
- LMG Life Sciences (2018). "Fish & Richardson P.C. Profile".
- Chambers USA (2018). "Fish & Richardson Receives Top "Band 1" for IP and ITC Practices".
- LMG Life Sciences (2018). "Fish & Richardson General Patent Litigation Firm of the Year".
- US News - Best Lawyers (2015). ""Law Firm of the Year" Awards".
- Law.com (2014). "2016 Diversity Scorecard: The Rankings".
- World Trademark Review (2014). "WTR 1000".
- Managing Intellectual Property (February 2014). "Managing Intellectual Property 2014 Survey" (PDF).
- "Litigation Department of the Year" (PDF). 2014. Retrieved 2015-03-10.
...They aren’t just ubiquitous—Fish handled 20 percent of all U.S. patent cases tried to verdict...'
- "The 2015 Appellate Hot List: Winning Big Cases, Changing the Law". National Law Journal. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "Managing IP North America awards 2016 – shortlists | Managing Intellectual Property". www.managingip.com. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "Fish Named IP Litigation Powerhouse | Fish". Fish & Richardson. 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "IP Group Of The Year: Fish & Richardson - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "Fish & Richardson Named #1 PTAB Law Firm : General Counsel News". generalcounselnews.com. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "The Legal 500 - The Clients Guide to the best Law firms, top Lawyers, Attorneys, Advocates, Solicitors and Barristers". www.legal500.com. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "The 2015 IP Hot List". National Law Journal. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "IAM Patent 1000 - Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) - Maximising IP Value for Business". www.iam-media.com. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- "Juristat Top 100". www.juristat.com. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- Staff report (November 7, 1930). Frederick P. Fish, Noted Lawyer, Dies; Was President of American Telephone and Telegraph Co. for Many Years. An Overseer of Harvard. Also a Leading Member of Massachusetts "Tech's" Board and a Bank Director. The New York Times