Fisherman Bay, South Australia
|LGA(s)||District Council of Barunga West|
Fisherman Bay is a coastal locality in South Australia, situated at the northern end of the Yorke Peninsula in the District Council of Barunga West. It has been owned by the Fisherman Bay Management Company since 1 March 1974 when the top 10 bidding residents formed the association.
Fisherman Bay consists of two unconnected areas on either side of the inlet to Fisherman Bay itself: a small residential area on the peninsula at the southern end, around the Fisherman Bay South Shack Site, immediately north of Port Broughton, and a larger, mostly uninhabited area to the north of the inlet. The village contains approximately 400 dwellings, with a shop and petrol station and community hall. The northern portion mostly consists of a large area known as "Salt Swamp", but also includes the Fisherman Bay North Shack Site across the inlet, and further to the north, the historic former RAAF Gunnery Range on Old Pirie Road, which is listed on the South Australian Heritage Register.
Shacks were first built at Fisherman Bay in the 1920s. The land was originally owned by the Hornby family, with shack owners paying them a "casual license" fee. In 1973, they sold the land to local residents, with the top ten bidders forming Fishermans Bay Management Pty Ltd to own and operate the village. The company still holds title to the land, with residents paying a fee of approximately $800. Issues around the security of land tenure have been raised as a significant issue for the further development of the village. Under this arrangement, the District Council of Barunga West is largely responsible for the coastal foreshore, while the company, who own the roads, water and sewer infrastructure, are responsible for the general area. The company has been gradually moving towards altering the land to freehold title over several years; however, as of 2015, they still continued to manage the majority of residential lots at Fisherman Bay.
- "Search result(s) for Fisherman Bay, 5522". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- Narungga (Map). Electoral District Boundaries Commission. 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "Search result(s) for Fisherman Bay, 5522". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
-  South Australian Certificate of Title 3947/64
- "Fisherman Bay Concept Plan" (PDF). District Council of Barunga West. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- "Former RAAF Gunnery Range (including row of six timber target frames, each with a large Roman numeral; two concrete shelters)". South Australian Heritage Register. Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- "Fisherman Bay Sustainability Report" (PDF). District Council of Barunga West. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- "Fisherman Bay Progress Association Inc". Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- "Easter Races". Retrieved 29 April 2016.