Fishin' in the Dark
|"Fishin' in the Dark"|
|Single by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band|
|from the album Hold On|
|B-side||"Keepin' the Road Hot"|
|Genre||Country, country blues|
|Label||Warner Bros. Nashville|
|Writer(s)||Wendy Waldman and Jim Photoglo|
|The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band singles chronology|
"Fishin' in the Dark" is a song written by Wendy Waldman and Jim Photoglo and recorded by American country music group The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. It was released in June 1987 as the second single from their album Hold On. It reached number-one on the U.S. and Canadian country charts. It was the band's third number-one single on the U.S. country music charts and the second in Canada. After it became available for download, it has sold over a million digital copies by 2015. It was certified Platinum by the RIAA on September 12, 2014.
The premise of the song is a couple contemplating a late-night fishing expedition. Specifically, the adventurers plan to make their way to an undisclosed river and chart constellations during an evening in which a full moon is present. Furthermore, the tentative date for this excursion is set in the late spring to early summer.
The music video was directed by Bill Young and features the band playing in front of a live audience.
- Canadian country band Emerson Drive recorded their version of the song on their 2004 album What If? A live version recorded in Dallas, Texas during 2004 was released as a digital single in 2005.
- Garth Brooks recorded his version of the song for his 2005 album The Lost Sessions and again for his 2013 box set Blame It All on My Roots: Five Decades of Influences.
- Irish Country singer Nathan Carter released his version of the song on his 2011 album Time Of My Life.
- The Ozark Mountain Daredevils cover the song on a rare Album (CD) named Heart of the Country released in 1987
- The Swon Brothers covered it during season 4 of The Voice and subsequently a studio version was released.
Chart and certification
"The Way We Make a Broken Heart"
by Rosanne Cash
|Billboard Hot Country Singles
October 17, 1987
"Shine, Shine, Shine"
by Eddy Raven
|RPM Country Tracks
October 17, 1987
by Dwight Yoakam
- Matt Bjorke (February 19, 2015). "Country Music's Top 30 Digital Singles: Week of February 19, 2015". Roughstock. Sales figures given here
- "American single certifications – The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band – Fishin&27 in the Dark". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 249.
- "American single certifications – Nitty Gritty Dirt Band – Fishin&27 in the Dark". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved March 21, 2015. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Bjorke, Matt (April 4, 2016). "The Top 30 Digital Country Singles: April 4, 2016". Roughstock.